Insects on plumb tree

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jitender, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Have a plumb tree in the garden it is Victoria plumb tree.

It has not really been looked after.

Its had some heavy pruning this year, one big branch has been cut out in the center to allow more light.

Another one had to be cut back to good wood which was rotting. All cuts have been sealed with paint.

I noticed these insects when picking the plumbs, anyone know what they are?:confused:

upload_2017-8-31_17-25-50.png

Going to clean down the tree before winter sets in to stop over winterization of insects, but most haven't got a home as its been cut back to 3 main branches.

Some residue coming out of plums, is this where the insects have put something in the plumbs?:eek:
    upload_2017-8-31_17-25-6.png

A lot of the plums were mouldy so had to be thrown away.
    upload_2017-8-31_17-23-19.png

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most likely the Plum Sawfly causing grief.

Can use a pheromone trap or spray with deltamethrin, if it's still available, probably better products available nowadays.

https://www.donsgarden.co.uk/pests/430

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

The insects in the photo are ladybird larvae, very welcome as ladybirds eat aphids ( greenfly and blackfly). The sticky resin is as a reaction by the plums to the presence of plum moth or sawfly larvae. Pheromone traps are best and also clearing away any infected fruit before the caterpillars pupate and cause problems next year

teabreak, Jitender and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

In the autumn/ winter ,clear the ground below the tree, will allow the birds to root out any sawfly grubs, who winter around base of a tree.

Jitender and ramseyman like this.
  5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ramseyman is spot on (forgive the pun) Yep they are indeed ladybird larvae. ;);)

teabreak, Jitender and KIAB like this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Plumb tree has been neglected through the years. All the bad wood has been cut out, Going to take care of it now.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Tried a google search, and it mentioned ladybird larvae, but could see a picture.:)

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I hope your Plumb tree is truly vertical ... however you will only get fruit from a Plum tree!

You seem to have done a lot better than me - 20 plumbs and that is all.

teabreak likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Applications of bonemeal which help with increasing fruit, I use to use chicken manure pellets every spring on the plum trees at a previous place.

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It is probably a pollination issue - lack of bees and other pollinators. Plenty of flowers but very few set. We have place for a hive or two, just need to get a bee keeper willing to locate one here.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use to plant lavender close to my plum trees, to encourage bees, bumblebees,etc, & I have it in veg patch here to encourage pollinators.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Bigger branches were cut in April, so lost quite a lot of fruit. When I was younger a big branch broke away as it couldn't support the weight of the plums. I know some fruit trees need a pollinator but some are self fertile.

I sealed the cuts again today using paint. All sealed now, not good cutting too late in the season as gives the tree time to heal. Resin is coming out of the cuts which I think acts a seal.

Chamfered all the cut ends and all have a slop to shed rain water.

Think I may get a pear tree, something which doesn't go too big using a small root-stock.