Inspecting a flat roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Jun 15, 2019.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi,

Many of you on here very extremely helpful when my son and I were renovating his house about five years ago.
    This week he moved into a 1960s bungalow, which is not as bad as his old house but will need a lot of work. I anticipate that I'll be asking some questions again :)

Firstly the bungalow has a flat roof. I has a quick look yesterday and it seems to be felt covered with small stones loose on top. I think this is pretty standard. It has masses of moss all over it, all thick and green after the recent wet weather.

I am thinking of trying to remove the moss to allow a better inspection and also to stop this moss from blocking the drains. I was proposing to use a lawn rake to pile it up and then recycle it. Then spread the small stones back evenly.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

Thanks, Steve

2. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

The gravel on a flat roof is meant to be adhered to the felt (with a bitumen adhesive) and among other things protects the roof covering from the sun. If the moss is growing on top of the gravel and not just rolling off a pitched roof, then there could be water pooling below the level of the gravel. In which case the run off may be insufficient. Whatever you do be careful not to damage the very thing that keeps your house dry, the felt.