Inspection / tap replacement hatch

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by JvJ, Feb 11, 2018.

1. JvJ

JvJ New Member

Hi All,

Comeplete newby question here - My taps needs replacing in the bath, unfortunately they are fitted against the wall on the side in the middle, not at the ends. The bathroom is also tiled from floor to ceiling and the door frame was fitted around the bath due to the size....

Is it possible to cut an inspection hole hatch in the wall (solid) to fit a hatch so I can replace the taps without taking the hole bathroom apart...

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Yes.

Done it a couple of times over the years.

Last time ,I use a SDS mortar rake on SDS drill to cut out mortar joints around the concrete block, wasn't too messy.

3. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

Usually when bath taps are fitted with no pipe connection access,special taps are used so they can be removed from above the bath deck.

Hopefully the plumber was aware of these systems,have a look at the back of the base of your bath taps there may be an allen screw ;).

4. just pumps

just pumps Active Member

What is on the other side of the wall, perhaps a bedroom and go in that side?

5. JvJ

JvJ New Member

I will have a look at what teach suggested....

Bedroom is next to the bath so can get in there if replacement is not an option....

Thanks for the suggestions...

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

No such luck on the last two I did.:(

Surprise how many plumbers haven't heard of quick release bath mixer tap fitting,or will use them, I didn't even think about mentioning them.:oops:

[​IMG]

JvJ and The Teach like this.
  7. The Teach

bristan do a range of bath,basin & sink taps called easyfit. sf sell some of their products.

KIAB likes this.
  8. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

They don't get good reviews though. Problems with some coming loose from its base.
    I wonder if anyone on this site has first hand experience with them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  9. The Teach

Yes ;) but only on diy installed taps which have not been anchored down correctly and fully tested o_O

10. JvJ

JvJ New Member

Looks like a hole it is :eek: - Tap spout went through the bath last night!!! - Wish me luck, or actually wish the house luck.... :):)

Thanks again for your responses and advise!