Install Gas Stove using existing Precast Gas Flue Block System?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Chris.7654, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

Hello,

Could really do with some advice on whether something is at all possible.

I just want to know if a Gas Stove with normal circular flue, can be somehow installed where I have a Precast Flue Block system (like a letterbox shape installed into the brickwork of the walls)?

If so, how would this work?

Thanks in advance

2. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

Is this not possible?

3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Is this a normal domestic cooker, if so why would it need a flue ?

4. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

Sorry when I say Gas Stove, I mean a Gas
    Stove type Fireplace. It’s not a cooker.

Fireplace used to be an inset type, set into a Precast Flue Block system. I want to put in a Gas Stove type fireplace but still use the Precast Flue system to vent gases etc. I’m just wondering how this would work.

5. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

You need to contact an approved gas retailer and fitter. There are so many variants between flueless and flued fixings.

6. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

I’ve had one person out today actually, who suggested that a Gas Stove Fire could be fitted to a closure plate that fits onto the front of the current Precast (letterbox type) Flue.

I want to see people’s opinion of if this is actually possible, and any other ways it might be done.

For all I know this guy, albeit Gas safe registered etc, could just be saying that to get the job.

Looking for impartial advice...that’s the point of this forum I guess.

7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

It is fair enough asking. However, without seeing the fire you want and the type of flue in place and its condition many people on here have been reluctant to respond.

Chris.7654 likes this.
  8. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

That’s a fair point.

So here is the fire i wish to install:
    www.hunterstoves.co.uk/Content/Images/uploaded/Instructions/HS%20Gas/Herald%206%20MK%20II%20Gas%20Stove%20Installation%20UK_version%201.pdf

And the image attached is the current wall with Precast Flue installed.

As you can see the wall of the bottom block is broken so that would certainly need replacing. It might be that some of the other bottom ones need replacing to allow fitting of a plate or whatever. I’m not sure.
    I acknowledge that after any changes the gas engineer will need to test the flue to ensure it is still usable (no leaks).

Generally I just want to know if this is doable...fitting this Gas Stove type fire to a Precast Flue?

Attached Files:

9. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

Further info...

I managed to find the installation manual for this fire online:

www.ukstoves.co.uk/getfile/193

Which states:
    “The Herald 6 gas stove is also suitable for other specific class 2 installation arrangements: pre-cast flues, ridge-vent flues and pre-cast chimney block and with the relevant adaption, the appliance will operate in a closure plate type system.”

10. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

Any more info required?

11. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

Does nobody on here have an idea about this?

12. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people on here that would only answer once they have seem the state and layout of the sections of the fllue. Only a suitably qualified engieer whom can inspect the flue will be able to tell for sure

13. Chris.7654

Chris.7654 New Member

Ignoring the state of the flue for a second, as that will be checked by a qualified person if the Work commences, what I’m asking is if the fitting of this type of fire to a Precast Flue like mine (see pic) is possible, and how it’s done?