Install kitchen on top of laminate floor?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by DSOTM, May 10, 2018.

1. DSOTM

DSOTM Member

If a new laminate floor is being laid and a new kitchen installed, is it advisable to place units and appliances on the original (t&G board in this case) floor rather than on the new laminate + underlay floor? i.e. run the laminate to just under the plinth rather than all the way to the walls.

I may be wrong but I can imagine the areas of the laminate floor lifting when heavy items such as washing machines are placed on it (if the underlay has any give, anyway).

Is there any accepted best practice when one has a choice?

Many thanks

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Some will say lay floor then kitchen...I prefer to put in kitchen then lay floor just past plinth.

Pros and cons of each...whatever works. However, if you have free standing appliances you want them resting on the laminate otherwise there's a drop and it'll look untidy.

DSOTM and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

'ditto'

Only time I lay floor first, is if I'm laying tiles, then it's whole floor.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  4. DSOTM

DSOTM Member

Thanks.. I like the idea of the laminate going to just under the plinth, with units on solid ground as it were. It also means that I can do the floor afterwards which'll stop it getting ruined during the kitchen installation process. Good point re appliances needing to be at laminate height; I'll remember to raise them appropriately.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

I'd probably lay the laminate once all units are in place but before plinths and end panels are in...then lay floor including where appliances will sit, then fit plinths and cut end panels for a nice neat finish.

Scott Green and KIAB like this.
  6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Well-Known Member

What Dr Bodge said. Easy to change when ( not if ) the laminate is ruined.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Plus one on the Drs Advice.

Kitchen units in

Floor in up to legs and under appliances.

Appliances in.

Plinths and panels on.

I personally though would steer away from laminate for kitchens.

Go with Quickstep Livyn instead.

Brilliant brilliant product.