Installing a 6m sliding door, what base? pictures attached

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by turbo2015, Jan 14, 2019.

1. turbo2015

turbo2015 Member

Need your heads.

I need to install a sliding door above a steel as in the picture, the finished floor level is at the top of the joists, i need to find a way in which to buildup from the steel inorder for the sliding door to sit at the right level (i need to be 70mm lower then the finished floor level.....currently at 220mm)i need to build up by 150mm from the steel.

What's the best approach?

-Timber I thought would decay over time.
    -Brick mortar? would it stick? or become lose.

- whats normal practice.
    The steel is floating, there is a room below, so i may need to take in consideration a very small level of deflection/movement.
    What do you guys recommend.

BTW the joist are being reinstalled.

[​IMG]

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Doubled, tripled or quadrupled 6x2's. How can they decay within the centre of the building, suspended from ground?

3. turbo2015

turbo2015 Member

thanks for responding, one side of door is on inner side of house, otherside is garden.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Don't you have brick/block work on the outside? Or is the door fitted to the external skin?

5. turbo2015

turbo2015 Member

hi thanks for looking

no brick and block, a concrete slab will be casted between the steel (concrete slab outside) and the inside will be standard joists.

Leave's me with the problem of finding a way in which to raise the height from the steel, otherwise sliding doors will much.. much...lower then the finished floor level.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'm struggling to understand why the sliding door has to sit 70mm below finished floor level.

7. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Could you not sit another light weight steel on top of the steel to take the slide runner.

8. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

Run the joists out over the steel and notch them out 70mm