Installing a bathroom suite

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Paul johnson, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Paul johnson

Paul johnson New Member

Hi all, I'm in the process of ripping out my old bathroom suite and installing new including a shower cubicle. I'm looking for the best way to run all new pipe work to the toilet, sink and shower. The hot and cold feeds comes up under the bath, also if someone can explain how I can attach a plan of the bathroom as that will show you what's required.
    Many thanks Paul.

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Is your plan drawn on paper or in software on your computer?

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Honestly you are best to use a really good plumber to do the pipework and design it all to your specifications if space and joists runs, etc allow

4. Paul johnson

Paul johnson New Member

Hi Robert, it a cad drawing print out.
    Thanks

5. Paul johnson

Paul johnson New Member

I'm competent to do the pipe I've done city and guilds hot and cold plumbing years ago.im just looking for tips on the best way to run the pipes as it's not something I do every day. Many thanks for your reply.

Heat likes this.
  6. robertpstubbs

If it is printed out you could scan it as a JPG or take a photo. If you actually have the cad on your computer you can print/save/export it as a PDF.

I normally load JPGs/PDFs into posts just by dragging them in (on my laptop).

I imagine most people take photos with their tablet/phone and click the Upload a File button in the post.

(I’ve never really got into the habit of using my iPad or iPhone for photos and download them from my camera onto my laptop where I have software to manipulate them.)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  7. robertpstubbs

Note there is a limit to the size of file that can be uploaded to Screwfix. I set the photo size to Small in my camera if the photos are for Screwfix, although there are also ways of reducing the size of photo files.

8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Still better getting a decent plumber who is well capable.
    As a plumber myself, I see terrible work done by inexperienced people.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If you feel confident then give it a go.

Take some pics and post on here. Easy to do.

Paul johnson likes this.
  10. Paul johnson

Paul johnson New Member

I agree on what you say and I've seen some terrible work done by the professionals and I'm talking from personal experience hence why I'm doing it myself. The advice I needed was just the easiest way to run the pipe layout either through the joists or around the outside against the walls and box in. I'm gonna be a lot slower and cautious as it's not something I do as like like a professional but I know when it's done it be right.
    Many thanks for your reply.

11. ESPlumb

ESPlumb Member

You’re going to have to give us something to go on.
    How can someone advise you when they don’t know your plan, layout, current pipe set up, what you intend to install etc. We’d really have to see what you have in order to be able say what’s the best way to do it.

12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

A lot of so called professionals indeed do terrible work. So I don’t blame you for avoiding them.
    But a top tradesman will do a better job than you and very fast.
    Even with jobs that I can easily do myself, like small plastering jobs, joinery work, I would happily bring in those trades whom I know to be genuine

CGN and Paul johnson like this.
  13. Paul johnson

Paul johnson New Member

I do apologise I've tried to upload a picture of the bathroom layout but the file is to big and I don't know how go about making it smaller sorry, Thank you for your reply

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You can resize it online. Type in picture resizer in google and it will do it for you. Save a copy of the original though.

Heat and Paul johnson like this.
  15. Paul johnson

Paul johnson New Member

[​IMG] IMG_20190412_52285.jpg
    Many thanks Koolpc I've managed to do it hooray,

16. robertpstubbs

What type of floor? Where else do pipes run? What is on the other side of the walls?

Heat likes this.
  17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Exactly what I was thinking.
    The layout is not really as important as what is on other sides of walls, the floor types, the joist depth and runs (if wooden floors), the nearest soil pipe location, etc.
    Not being funny, but this is where a pro needs to look over it all

18. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

It's a bit difficult for any of us trades to answer your question without actually seeing the property. Hot/cold pipework isn't too much of an issue as they can be notched through the joists ( as long as it's done properly) rules/regs on this can be found online. I usually find the main issue is the waste pipes. If you've got an external soil pipe then the toilet is best suited nearby. Shower, you have to consider which way the joints run, ideally you want to run the waste between two joints as you can't cut into the joists. There's too many factors to consider. If you want better advice then really we need to know, soil pipe location, any external gullys, floor type- floorboards, concrete etc, what system you're on- combi, gravity etc. Which way joists run.... the list can go on!

Paul johnson likes this.