Installing external 13a socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rekusu, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Rekusu

Rekusu New Member

What ho one and all,

When we built, I installed a couple of external 13a sockets; thought that was good enough, but ............... Would be nice to have a few more!

I can spur off the internal sockets but the structure of the house gives me a concern. It is timber frame, Fermacell inside, Warmcell insulation, PanelVent external lining, membrane cavity and rendered thermolite block on the outside. My main concern is to drill (piece) the membrane, presumable from the inside as there is almost no way from the outside that I would get near the internal socket.

I know the breather membrane is tough, and if attempting to drill, just snags on the drill and rips itself to bits, something I don't want to do.

What is the solution?

Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks and toodle pip

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Could you spur the new sockets off the existing external ones?

3. Rekusu

Rekusu New Member

That is exactly what I plan to do. The problem is drilling through the breather paper on the external (but within the cavity) surface of the timber frame. When I was building and needed to do it a couple of times, it was easy because I had access to the breather paper. But it binds onto the drill bit and rips itself mass surrounding the bit. The result of trying to drill though it in the cavity will be a mass of torn breather paper and an 'lump' surrounding the drill bit which will prevent me from getting the bit out.

So my question is still, how does one get a hole through the breather paper?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

More difficult to engineer if the existing sockets are already spurs!

No idea, I’m afraid. Drill a hole, I guess:D