Installing Hive Multizone

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Paul Adkins, Jan 13, 2018.

?

How do I wire a Hive Multizone

1. this is how you do it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. help required

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

Hi, I am replacing my Honeywell heating controller which is situated on the 1st floor with a Hive Multizone, I only have 2 wires from a 3 core cable, they were connected L&N. The Honeywell controller has 2x AA batteries (is this for back up or do these provide the power)? Can anybody help to explain how I connect up the Hive, if the 2 wires are Live & Neutral then how does the boiler call for heat?

Should the common be involved?

Thanks in advance.

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Need more info like what system you have and existing controls...otherwise it's just guess work.

3. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

Ok, it's a new build with an ideal boiler, pressurised system with a Y plan wiring set up. The main controller is by the boiler, I have added Hive (hub, receiver and thermostat) all working fine on heating and hot water. Upstairs I have a separate heating control with built in room stat, this has only 2 wires connected L&N on the diagram, however, this could be live and switch live (it's hard to tell). I am replacing the upstairs controller with a Hive Multizone receiver and separate thermostsat.

I wonder if the Hive receiver requires Live & Neutral and then calls for heat, would you like to know the model numbers, would this help?

Thanks for offering advice.

4. leesparkykent

Yeah and are you sure it's a Y-plan if you have seperate zones for up and down?

5. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

I was told that, may it be an S plan then, it has separate zones for up and down.

6. leesparkykent

If you have seperate zone valves then it's an S-plan. What make is the controller upstairs that you want to replace?

7. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

It' a Honeywell CM907.

8. leesparkykent

Yes it's just perm live and switch live at the CM907. Isn't the hive thermostat battery powered? Is it the. Receiver your trying to install at the existing controller position?

9. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

I thought that about the CM907, to my knowledge the Hive receiver is not battery powered, yes it is going in place of the existing controller position.

10. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

So is the CM907 battery powered?

11. leesparkykent

Yes its battery powered. When the thermostat calls for heat it closes the contact between the two wires which are perm live and switch live.

12. leesparkykent

The receiver isn't battery powered but the thermostat is. The receiver needs wiring up to the valve that does the upstairs heating. In the wiring centre where the valve is connected you need to disconnect the old thermostat cable and wire in the receiver.

13. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

So I connect, Live to Live and switch Live to 3 (Heating on) on the Hive receiver then? but does the receiver have power?

14. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

The CM907 has a thermostat built in, there isn't a separate thermostat upstairs.

15. leesparkykent

I know it's a programmable thermostat. If the existing controller had a neutral you could of installed the receiver in its place. You don't have a neutral there so the receiver can't be installed in its place. As I said the the receiver needs connecting to the valve in the wiring centre and the existing controller wiring disconnecting.

16. Paul Adkins

Paul Adkins New Member

Ok, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

17. leesparkykent

If you take a pic of the wiring center I could tell you the connections.

18. Christopher Choppen

Christopher Choppen New Member

Just been reading this thread to try get some information on how to install, just wondered if someone can help me, I am a completed novice with heating systems, my house has multizone already, I have a logic boiler, the thermostats upstairs and down are Danfoss, upstairs in a cupboard there is a danfoss control box with what I think are motorised valves. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

19. Tony2020

Tony2020 New Member

Hi Paul,

I am having the same issue with the multizone. I have one thermostat upstairs which controls the upstairs part of the house, my thermostat is a Myson and it’s has two wires coming out similar to your issue with one live and one neutral I think. Did someone manage to help you with your issue ? Any advise you can give please ?