Installing new gas pipe to new hob location

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Radders, Aug 9, 2019.

  1. Radders

    Radders Member

    Morning chaps, I am moving my kitchen from front to back of house, I can get under the house ( with difficulty) and have found a route from rear of lounge gas fire to a new hob location. Whilst I understand final connections have to be made and certified by a qualified fitter is there any issue in me installing / clipping a new 'one piece' pipe from A to B. Assuming I can, what size and type should I buy?

    thanks in anticipation
  2. dobbie

    dobbie Well-Known Member

    Leave it to the Plumber/Gas Fitter, he will run the pipe from the most suitable location, with the correct size pipe to take into account any pressure drop that could occur.
    Do you want the fire dropping when using the cooker, not a good idea.
    Astramax and Heat like this.
  3. Mr Rusty

    Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

    +1. There are many jobs you can do yourself, but running gas pipes is not one of them
    Heat likes this.
  4. Radders

    Radders Member

    Thanks guys should have explained I cant plaster or lay bricks but being an engineer I am sufficiently skilled in plumbing / electrics & pipe installation albeit high pressure stuff, I also understand system design including pressure drop calculations, however I am NOT a gas engineer. Question I intended was - would a qualified gas engineer refuse to make the final connections if I installed the one piece pipe from A to B and what type, copper of mdpe?

    The route under the house is not easy but I'm down there anyhow pulling in new wires & plumbing, thought I'd save the fitter a nasty job ( and save money!)

    Again thanks for the responses.
  5. dobbie

    dobbie Well-Known Member

    Not trying to be rude, but coming out with the statement, running a gas pipe in mdpe inside a dwelling, clearly shows that you should not even attempt the job.
    Leave it to the gas fitter who knows what he is doing.
  6. andyscotland

    andyscotland Active Member

    As with equivalent posts for electrical, the best answer is usually "find a fitter and ask them".

    Meeting someone face to face is the only real way for them to gauge your competence / attention to detail / workmanship. Nobody can guess that on the internet.

    I'm sure in the right circumstances if they're confident you'll do a good job (and if it's simple e.g. straight run with no joints) a fitter would be happy for you to do the unpleasant underfloor crawling.

    Who knows, if you've skills from other fields they might even let you make a joint or two while you're down there, if they can supervise and test effectively. I doubt anyone is really champing at the bit to wriggle under your floor.

    If you involve them upfront they'll be able to tell you/provide the correct materials and agree exactly how it needs to be done and what they need to see (e.g. photos of clips etc) to sign it off.

    But asking someone to turn up, connect it up and sign it off blind based on anonymous online advice where the qualifications of both you and the people answering are totally unknown is a totally different ball game and tbh I think quite a rude way to approach a skilled professional.
  7. gas monkey

    gas monkey Well-Known Member

    at my age you running the pipes and i conecting and testing would go down well id do
  8. Radders

    Radders Member

    Well put and good points, appreciate all input shall get a fitter around and discuss

    thanks all

Share This Page