Installing new loft ladder with hatch involving joists/trusses cutting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dziaros91, Mar 14, 2019.

1. dziaros91

dziaros91 New Member

Hiya !
    It is my first post so please understand any mistakes.

So, trying to install a new loft ladder with hatch using an old very very tiny hatch (enlarging it).
    New loft ladder frame size is 1180mm x 680mm and unfrotunately it has to be installed perpendicularly (not sure if the right word). You can see what I mean on attached pictures.
    After checking everything and planning which joists I have to cut I met a problem which is:
    Distance between 5 joists (including 3 I have to cut) is 1570mm but the frame is only 1180mm so we have about 390mm empty space which I'm not reallt sure how to fill or how to exactly and safely fix the frame to the existing joists.
    Unfortunately I cannot fit new frame between 4 joists as the distance is not long enough.
    I know as well I have to support all the joists around the new entrance. All doesn't let me sleep tidy is how I should fix the frame properly and how to fill the gaps between joists and frame.
    Thank you for any help and advices.
    If need any pictures just let me know.

loft1.jpg loft 2.jpg

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Normally architraves cover the gaps afterwards, but you are missing the point that the joists need to be doubled up on recess and joist hangers need to be used, before the ladder frame fitted. In short- it is way bigger job, than just trimming and fitting a ladder.

"Kudos tip"- do not forget needing reasonable space for ladder to go up above.

3. gas monkey

gas monkey Active Member

build frame around the hatch twice with the longest side extended to fit into existing joists which will also need to be dubled up over the top but if used regular the added strenghs worth it for a couple of pounds
    nail mini j hagers to two sides fix exixting joists

4. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

Filling gaps around the frame is the least of your worries, don’t go cutting any truss chords if you don’t know what your doing just get a smaller loft hatch!!!!

stevie22 and AlvyChippy like this.
  5. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

I am interested to know if he did cut through truss cords in a modern truss system (not that we know that it is) but he had a made up a good frame fixed well to all the cut joists would, there be a problem?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Manufacturers guarantee on the trusses would be null and void immediately, Home insurance would be affected, any NHBC warranty within the first ten years of buying the house wouldn't mean a bean, not that it does anyway. The trusses are designed to bear weight under their own load, the ceiling cord ties the entire truss together and provides supports to the struts that form up part of the 'W' on a standard Fink truss. Depends on the truss design, layout of the upstairs stud walls, location and size of the trap, how the remaining structure is braced and secured etc whether or not any detrimental effect will happen if the ceiling cord is cut.

For the record, if he does have a truss roof, I wouldn't dream of fitting that size trap in the method he suggested.

7. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

Thanks Jord, a comprehensive answer methinks! :)

8. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

The guy hasn't been heard of since the same day he posted, hopefully his saw was too blunt to collapse his house.........

dobbie likes this.