Installing Skirting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by josiepops, Jan 23, 2008.

1. josiepops

josiepops New Member

Im installing some 7" torus skirting using a compass to scribe my internal corners, The result is ok ,but i want to achieve a top quality join. So far I have tried sandpaper and a smoothing plane to refine the cut once of made it with a coping saw, however, both are petty lousy. I was hoping u pro's could give me a tip or 2!

2. handcraft

handcraft New Member

use a mitre saw and cut an internal 45 degree angle then cut following the line the cut makes (hope that makes sense)

under cut it a little so if the wall is out of squar it will still butt up

lee

3. Steve Stiffler

Steve Stiffler New Member

cutting a 45 will only work if the piece of skirting that is already fixed is plumb,if you are quite a bit out with your joints you could try a small file and then finish it with sandpaper.

4. Vinnie187

Vinnie187 New Member

My tip-
    Phone a joiner.

5. handcraft

handcraft New Member

in an ideal world it would be plumb

lee

6. josiepops

josiepops New Member

cheers for the pointers. Unfortunately the walls are no where near plumb! The file idea sounds promising. Any suggestions as to which type work best?

7. Bando

Bando Member

I'm no capenter but doing the skirtings on my own new build at the moment. It's brand new walls but they are still way out both vertically and horizontally. Find i'm having to cut a 45 then trim the other section to match it.

8. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

hi as ss say 's but also check that the skirt is not cup'ed across its width as this will be something else to get over.regards

9. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Get a bevel gauge and find the angle between floor and skirting that you are butting up against.
    Mark this onto the board that you are going to scribe.
    Clamp a straight edge parallel to this line. Use that as a guide for your circ saw set at 45 degrees to cut for a normal internal mitre.
    Then use a normal saw to cut the straight line where the mitre cut meets the face timber and a coping saw or jig saw for the fancy bit at the top.

Well thats how I do it. Don't forget its two eggs ;)

10. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

If the walls are that out of plumb then it's going tom look poo when the skirt abuts an architrave so bear that in mind before worrying to much about internal corners being perfect.

You probably wont see all of them but you will see the skirting either side of the door.

11. Trog

Trog New Member

Blimey Mr K that is a hell of a complicated way of doing an easy job sir.

12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

mr k's explanation is a bit clunky but its correct

when the skirting is to be varnished or stained and its bowed, then life gets interesting

cupped can be dealt with

13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

ps you dont NEED a straight edge clamped on

14. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

i just use a 6"scrap of skirting with a scripe on each end.i then place the piece of skirting that requires scripeing on the wall butting up to corner of the fixed skirting,i get my 6" scripe block,place against fixed skirt but pushed up to the loose skirt and draw around the scribe block.works everytime.
    ps dont forget to undercut your scribe.
    "clear as mud eh"

15. Trog

Trog New Member

Stevie C is correct. When are you lot gonna learn. Scribe not mitre. Jeez end of, how many more threads on this subject.

16. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Trog,
    I only suggested that method for the skirt being out of plumb which was the OP's issue. Otherwise normal methods used as described already. Plus I don't have an accurate mitre saw. Not that I advocate mitreing for internals you understand.

17. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

the method i suggested with the scribe block also takes into account out of plumb walls.

18. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Granted stevie, many ways to skin a cat. I've got one if anybody would like a go. ;) Blasted thing.

19. damo

damo New Member

Compass scribe always works well for me on out of plumb walls, even for deep skirting. Have you got a sharp, decent quality blade in your coping saw?