Insulated, breathable render

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Spudgun, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Spudgun

Spudgun New Member

Hi all,
    I live in an old South Wales terrace with solid walls, which I'm looking to insulate. The wall is currently rendered internally with around 25mm of sand and cement which I'll take off.

I understand it's a good idea to keep these walls breathable, and so I'm considering using a breathable, insulated render, such as Bauwer Light, to do the job. Does anyone here have much experience using these?

Thanks a lot!

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

What are you insulating your walls with

4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I am renovating a number of properties in Wales at the moment. All I do is use is insulated plasterboard. As long as you use the better quality ones (not polystyrene) it works fine, never an issue with damp or mold.

I use adhesive foam to bond them to the wall and then use frame fixers as additional mounting.

Spudgun likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

The Bauwer render contains Perlite,which is a insulating material.

Spudgun likes this.
  6. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Never used such a thing , is that any good, doe's it insulate well ? Did a house for my uncle in Ebbw Vale with foam backed board , serious damp issue in that part of country

7. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Which foam do you use , any long term damp walls causing problems with using that stuff ,

8. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

9. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

The rigid f
    As KIab says there is the Everbuild product or Soudal versions. I have also used Screwfix no nonsense versions. I dry position the boards on the wall, drill holes for the additional screws then foam the board and replace on the wall and drive the fixings in. I then give it a tap with a straight edge to even any bumps

Spudgun likes this.
  10. Spudgun

Spudgun New Member

How long have you had the insulated boards up, Sospan? I'm interested in their long-term performance, as I'm quite concerned about making any walls non-breathable, but really like the idea of just sticking insulated PB; seems nice and easy.

11. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

They have been up in various houses for 5 to 6 years for myself and others. For one person I did a very cold bedroom that suffered from condensation type mold - when I removed the wardrobes it was all over the back of them. The room was big enough to take around 50mm on the walls and I put 35mm on the ceilings which not only insulated but covered over some ugly artex

It is very easy to fit, even for one person and doesn't cost that much to do. Some of the Independent builders merchants /Selco/Wickes have them on promotion on times and the should be about £25 a sheet with the discounts

KIAB and Spudgun like this.
  12. Spudgun

Spudgun New Member

Ok nice one, thank you.

13. Josh.91

Josh.91 Member

Lime Render!
    Lovely stuff

Spudgun and KIAB like this.
  14. Spudgun

Spudgun New Member

Cheers Josh, something like this?

15. Josh.91

Josh.91 Member

That's it.
    Nice when it's finished, but can take months to fully dry out.
    Had to replace Backboxes in some cases.

Spudgun likes this.
  16. Spudgun

Spudgun New Member

Great, thanks again. Do you reckon it's DIYable? Was thinking of using battens as screeds, or would it be best getting someone in to do it? What did you need to replace your backboxes with?

17. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

There is a belief (and hype) that removing any cement from a building and pointing the stonework and plastering the walls with lime plaster is the cure for all sorts of problems. Down here facing the Atlantic coast we have the majority of older houses with cement render both inside and out and have no damp issues at all.

If you want to consider lime get some advice from professionals have a look at Ty Mawr in Brecon (https://www.lime.org.uk/) or Celtic Sustainables (https://www.celticsustainables.co.uk)

Although this is the company I have used for some conservation work outside of Cardiff I had featured on the radio recently https://www.mikewye.co.uk/

Lime plaster is really something best for the pros as like most plastering the skill takes a while to master

18. Josh.91

Josh.91 Member

The Builders I worked with it all had to go on a course. Nasty stuff Lime, but serves a purpose.

19. Josh.91

Josh.91 Member

I'm from South Wales myself.
    There's a place up in Brecon called Ty-Mawr who specialize in it
    https://www.lime.org.uk/
    Maybe worth a look

Spudgun likes this.