Insulated plasterboard on single skin block wall.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lummer, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Lummer

Lummer New Member

hi All,
    Looking for advice, please. I am doing a renovation to an existing extension. It was always cold so I assumed there was no insulation in the external cavity wall. However, I've cut a small hole in the plaster and found that there is insulated plasterboard dot-dabbed directly onto the blocks laid on their side. the wall is rendered externally. The cavity between the block and plasterboard is dry so no damp seems to be getting through.
    I want to add an additional layer of insulated plasterboard on the inside, and I wonder if I can just stick it to the plasterboard already there.
    On a side note, the cavity does not have ventilation, so I intend to add weep vents on the outside leaf.

I'm just wondering if this is a big no-no, or will adding weep vents and additional insulation be fine, considering it's been this way for 20+ years already.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Just to clarify, have you got a cavity wall i.e. 2 walls of block/brick with a cavity between them (with the inner wall dot and dabbed with insulated plasterboard) or a solid block wall with insulated plasterboard dot and dabbed on to it.