Insulated plasterboard to cure condensation on ceiling?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by two by one, May 16, 2008.

1. two by one

two by one New Member

Someone has condensation problems on their ceiling which is underneath a flat roof. They think that if they dry line it with skimmed insulated plasterboard that will solve the problem? There are two outside walls.

2. lojo

lojo New Member

are you sure its condensation and not ingress?

3. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

is it a bedroom?
    if its condensation surely it would be all over the windows aswell! but ventilation and airflow is the cure for condensation, i would think if they just board over with Ipb then they will just trap the moisture above the new ceiling, thus encouraging mould, damp and rot.
    Anyone know different? HTH :)

4. two by one

two by one New Member

It is a bedroom, and apparently the problems started with the installation of new UPVC windows a few years ago. I wondered about the installation of some kind of external vent? I do know that insulation helps to keep buildings cool in summer and warm in winter.

5. trench

trench New Member

If probs started soon after windows went in then it could be a ventilation issue.
    New hermetically sealed unts effectively sealing up the room which used to have reasonable ventilation thanks to the old draughty windows.

Try to improve the ventilation (trickle vents, low power fan, thru wall vent etc)

Deal with the condensation at source too. Keep doors to bathrooms/utility rooms shut when in use, don't dry clothes on the rads, put cold water into bath before hot (putting in hot then cold causes loads of steam)

6. nigel

nigel Guest

Ventilation is needed, no amount of insultion will make the ceiling surface warm enough to prevent condensation.

7. ecm

ecm New Member

New hermetically sealed unts effectively sealing up

I thought that was a person that had a winky and a flower?