Insulated screed vs PIR

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Apr_1985, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Apr_1985

Apr_1985 New Member

Hi

I am looking at converting part of my garage to an office and need to add some insulation to the floor which is currently a concrete slab.
    As I can only add around 25mm of insulation to the floor as there isn’t much step down from the external personnel door. (Will be adding plenty to the walls and roof to make up for it)

I was planning on a “floating” floor with DPM then PIR then chipboard as this is a nice easy DIY and cost effective.
    Then thought about insulated screed which would be harder wearing and super level but I don’t know if the insulation values are any better or if it is worth the extra money and hassle to have it done.

Anyone have any advice and if anyone could give a ballpark for 20m2 of insulated screed to 25mm that would be grand as well.

thanks for the advice

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Are you going for building regs?

It's actually in the regs that cost benefit has to be considered lest you fear some over zealous BCO might make you break out the floor.

A lot will depend on how level and flat the existing concrete is, but if it's ok I'd do the celotex/board route

rogerk101 likes this.
  3. Apr_1985

Apr_1985 New Member

Although I am only converting into a hobby/craft room I think I will go for regs just to make it easy to sell for if future buyers want to use as an office.

My cost benefit worked out that adding extra in the walls and ceiling would be more sensible than digging out a concrete floor.
    I think that would be hard to dispute but BCO is a law unto.
    I can always make the floor level higher than the doorway as it opens out worst case.

The current slab is level, just a few hairline cracks to fill so PIR it is

thanks for the advice.

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Most BCOs are very pragmatic about insulation not being totally to regs. Since heat rises the floor is the least significant area anyway.

My approach to problem jobs is to compare heat loss for the works as proposed to the heat loss for the same configuration with the worst case configuration (ie maximum glass and all elements and limiting U value. Before the regs changed in June it was very easy to get a substantially better value out of the windows.

Don't be in too much of a rush to put extra elsewhere unless you have to: diminishing returns for heat loss and losing space as you go thicker.

Apr_1985 likes this.
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

If it’s flat, vacuum panels might be worth considering.

6. Apr_1985

Apr_1985 New Member

I did have a look at the Kingspan Optim-R but online prices are impossible to get hold of as are lead times. Might have to break out the one telephone and get a rough price.

cheers