Insulating a garden wall...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ibanezman, Jan 8, 2016.

1. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

It's not as daft as it sounds!

We're having a conservatory put onto the back of the house next month. Dwarf walls will be built on two sides of the base, the house itself will be the third wall, but the fourth wall is the existing garden wall (pictured below).

So, I need to understand how best to make this wall insulated in some way. Ordinarily I'd simply add the appropriate damp proof, insulation, then plaster board on top and plaster to finish. The complication in this scenario is that I don't have that depth to work with. As shown in the pictures below, there's only about 30mm before any extra thickness added to the wall would start to encroach over the doorway.

As it's a double thickness wall, could I remove the inner layer of bricks, giving me an extra 100mm to work with, then replace this with damp proof, insulation boards and finish to plaster?

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It should come down and be rebuilt properly with a DPC, cavity and tied to the house to stop it pushing out under the roof load.

The conservatory company should know this.!!!!

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spot on.

4. ibanezman

ibanezman Member

Yes, they should and that's probably what they'll tell me to do then!

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Your picture doesn't show how big(wide) the rest of the house is, but I'd leave that door out of the conny, and start at the straight of the house near the corner. Still have a useful little alleyway for 'outside' things, and access from the single door.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really