Insulating a tin roof

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by billfromarran, Dec 20, 2017.

1. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

I have a large 16mx7m shed/workshop ,walls single skin blockwork and roof is square section Alugalv roofing sheets.

Great to work in except in cold weather, especially after a frosty spell, when the thaw comes it drips everywhere. So I need to insulate .
    Is there some kind of spray on foam which I could use on the underside of the roof?.
    Alternatively I was considering lining the roof with insulation board of some kind, but I would need to be able to fix it somehow. I don't mind spending a bit of cash on it as I have tools and cars which need to be kept dry.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too expensive spray foaming roof.

What is roof fix to, timber or steel beams.

Could glued to the underside a foam underlay, even laminate flooring underlay, needs to be fireproof.

3. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

How expensive is too expensive ?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hundreds, would need a qoutation from a firm for accurate price.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Cheapest and most effective would be to fix 50mm polystyrene sheets below the tin with a vapour barrier below. Then plasterboard the ceiling, finish or not to suit. Polystyrene is flammable but this is a shed and plasterboard is fixed over as a fire barrier.

6. zedhead

zedhead New Member

I was considering lining the underside of my corrugated lean-to roof with 90mm expanded polystyrene (once the weather has warmed up and it's dried out fully) but hadn't considered the fire risk of the polystyrene, especially given that I will be welding in there... would you guys consider it enough of a fire deterrent to simply board over with ply or similar? It'd be a touch more durable than plasterboard .

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Beware of trapping in condensation. If you're insulating, definitely provide and vapour barrier on the underside of the insulation, and lots of ventilation between the metal roof and the top of the insulation otherwise condensation will drip all over it, eventually making its way down into the garage.

Alan Wright likes this.
  8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

9. Almostwelsh

Almostwelsh New Member

Hi Bill

Came across this discussion today. I have exactly the same problem - can I ask if you found a workable solution?

Thanks

Derek

10. JMP-EV

JMP-EV New Member

I have a metal profile roof on a shed also which has a real bad condensation problem!

I was thinking of putting a layer of insulation over it, then ply and then felt.

Any comments?