insulating and soundproof workshop

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by marc lennark, Feb 12, 2020.

1. marc lennark

marc lennark New Member

Hi,

Can anyone please advise …..
    I am losing my current workshop and have a year to move out.
    I am going to convert my garages at home and work from there.
    I am an upholsterer and furniture maker so use staple guns into wood for a big part of the day, so need to be very conscience of noise to neighbours as well as insulation.

My current plan is baton out walls, 60ml celotex insulation boards, and can not decide what best to use for the finished wall on top.

The choice is a 18ml ply versus 15ml sounbloc plasterboard that I have found.
    The ply is appealing as I can then easily screw shelving through without having to finding stud joists, but just wonder if a wooden inside wall will give a higher vibration noise inside using staple guns, compared to the plasterboard.
    Also which would retain the heat better.?
    Would really appreciate any ones thoughts or if a better product is available that anyone can advise?

Many thanks

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Ply, you have Celotex for insulation already and as its a garage any kind of plasterboard could get damp.

3. marc lennark

marc lennark New Member

Thanks Hans, not worried about the damp as it brick built with a raised sub floor and membrane.
    My primary concern is the noise side of things, which would work better as soundproof ply or plasterboard ? thanks

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Soundbloc may be a smidge better but I doubt its going to make any real difference. If you have windows or doors in the garage, more sound will get through them than the walls. Ply is a lot more hard wearing and practical.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Instead of celotex use a dense fibrous insulator like Rockwool Sound Insulation Slab. Sound is absorbed by friction between the fibres then get reflected from the heavy wall back again. Plywood will provide a similar benefit on the way back.

Celotex will do almost nothing.

Jord86 likes this.