Insulating gas and hot water pipes together

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by markvr, Jul 9, 2014.

1. markvr

markvr New Member

I have 2x central heating and 1x gas pipe running parallel through my house, pretty much touching each other.

I'd like to insulate the CH pipes, but the only way to do it is wrap the whole lot in something like this - http://www.screwfix.com/p/thermawrap-loft-insulation-400mm-x-5m/76477

I can't use pipe insulation on just the CH pipes because the pipes are too close to each other.

Is it a bad idea to wrap the hot water and gas together? It seems like it might be unwise, if the gas pipes get hot and the gas expands and blows my house up?!

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the gas won't get that hot and needs a source of ignition to 'blow up', but why do you want to wrap them inside the house ? as they are all over the house they are giving off heat, but its not wasted, its heating the rooms and corridors in a mild way, if you stop that, you may find you need extra radiators to compensate, you'll also encourage visitors to live in the cosy little warren you've built. :rolleyes:

3. markvr

markvr New Member

hey thanks for the answer. They are under the floorboards, so I'd rather save the heat for the radiators :)

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if the pipes mention run through an unheated area of the house, such as the loft or under the ground floor then it's certainly worth insulating them

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't understand the thermal resistance stated 1.003m2 K/W.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's means it's a waste of money

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

they'll try and sell you owt these days, I'm sick of the peddlers telling me i can have cavity wall insulation for 'free', that cavity is there for a reason I tell them, so they go off and 2 more come, if it was any good they'd sell it to people, not give it,

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I figured that but shouldn't the figure be in K/W M2 or a u value

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

perhaps they thought they could hide it's appalling U value by misplacing the M in the hope that folks think it's a fancy new unit of measure