Insulating loft

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Petermuller42, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Petermuller42

Petermuller42 New Member

We have a loft with approx 200mm mineral wool insulation which I would like to partially board.
    There are already 8 22mm 2440*600 chipboard sheets up there loose laid and crushing the insulation.
    The ceiling joists are nom 4X2 at 400 cc.
    Would it be OK condensation wise to lay 2440*1200 100mm celotex over the joists (Having removed excess mineral wool) and then put chipboard on top? Or should I put battens over celotex then sheet to provide some ventillation on the cold side?
    I also would like to know if the celotex would be OK to not crush.
    We only plan to store light boxes up there and distribute the load well.
    This would only only cover less than 10% of the loft area and the mineral would remain at the eaves.
    The space is well ventillated as we've fitted inter rafter vents into the soffit.

Advice please
    Many thanks.

2. Katya88888

Katya88888 Member

Celotex is plastic chemical material. It could be a hazard from smoke inhalation due to chemicals relaeased if there was a fire, according to data sheet. Can you use something else instead? You need to read the safety datasheet first before installing it.

Attached Files: