Insulating single brick built shed on the cheap

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by justanotherdiyer, Aug 11, 2018.

1. justanotherdiyer

justanotherdiyer New Member

Hello...

I’m having work done on my house which is going to drag on until early next year, meaning I have to move my much loved fish tank.

Sadly the only place I have to put it is an old brick building shed in my garden. This would be fine in the summer as it would stay warm enough, however when the temperature starts dropping in the winter it’s going to be a big problem.

The shed is made from brick, and is about 6.5 ft by 8.5 ft. It’s single layered brick and has a corrugated roof.

My plan is do put an economic heater and there and insulate it. I want to do it as cheap as possible as it’s going to get knocked down in a couple of years when we extend the house.

Here’s my plan, tell me where I’m going wrong and what’s I’ve missed out etc...

Attach some 2.5cm beams to the wall to make joists which I can attach foil backed insulation to, leaving a 2.5cm gap between the insulation and wall for air. Then on top of that MDF boards or I was thinking of using recclying pallets which I could pick up for free to save money. I’ve got some laminate floor left over from my living room I can use for the floor.

I’d fill any gaps in the roof with foam spay, lay another coraggated roof over the old one and then maybe some tarpaulin to ensure it’s waterproof.

The roof is triangular but I was thinking maybe make the inside roof square with the mdf or pallets and shove some fibreglass wool above that.

Have I missed anything? Is there a super cheap way I could do it?

One thing I’m abit concerned about is ventilation, I’ve not worked that one out yet...

Thanks for reading the long post and hopefully for your help and suggestions

2. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

For the walls I would just bond sheet insulation to the walls with adhesive foam.

For the floor I would put down some battens and lay insulation between them and then board over the top. If you have rodents around the garden, run some copper tape around the edges as all rodents love to make a home in insulation.

For the roof it would be best to fix the insulation to the outside of the roof and then lay a new outer skin on top of that.

3. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

If its temporary and you've got buy material why not use glassfibre?

If you've got a bit of time check out skips: often bits of Celotex in them

4. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Too late for my suggestion , insulate the tank

5. justanotherdiyer

justanotherdiyer New Member

THanks for the ideas.

I’ll be insulating the tank too...just want the building insulated also so I don’t freeze my nuts off in there too.

Wouldn’t mind sitting in there and escaping the wife and kids for a bit!!