Insulating single skin workshop

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by linus1, Nov 10, 2019.

1. linus1

linus1 New Member

I've recently had built a large workshop in my garden, it was constructed on a newly laid concrete base and built with breezeblock.

Circumstances meant i had to have this built in October, ideally it would have been in warmer weather. The inside is now pretty cold and condensated.

Electrics will be installed soon, and i then want to insulate the workshop. It will not be possible to insulate 3 of the external walls, so i need to opt for internal wall insulation. The workshop does not need to be warm, just dry. It will be used for light DIY and storage. Having read many websites, forums and spoken to a couple of builders, I'm really none the wiser on the best approach.

Generally, 2 options have been suggested.

1 - 50mm (rockwool or similar) fitted between vertical battens. Cover with 5mm plywood board, painted on both sides

2 - install insulated plasterboard to batten frame without cavity insulation.

Its also bee suggested the timber battens should be protected by a strip of damp proof course, placed between the batten and the wall.

I really need to balance cost versus purpose. Any thoughts or other suggestions would be welcome!

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

It doesn't need to be insulated just to be dry. If the building and the roof were made correctly, it will be dry, and no amount of insulating it will help with making it drier.

That said, if you want to heat it in the winter or cool it in the summer, then it'll need insulation, or you will be wasting a lot of energy.

linus1 likes this.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Consider rendering the outside then paint that.