insulating small extension roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Alllfff, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Alllfff

Alllfff New Member

Hi,
    I would like to insulate small roof that is above a partial extension in which my kitchen is. Similar to the 1 and 3A insulation in the picture below. I think I am clear and understand what should be done where 1 meets 3 and where 1 meets 3A, however I am not sure about start and end of 3A insulation. Should 3A go all the way from kitchen's ceiling plasterboard as high as it can go to the roof and touch/seal if possible?

Additional info:
    insulation 1 will be roll of mineral wool insulation, 3A I plan to use kingspan or similar. Red line is an external wall. Wall between arrows does not exist. Space above 1 is ventilated through soffits. Small roof has flashing to the red wall.
    upload_2021-10-4_14-57-57.png

2. GookieMonster

GookieMonster Member

Just leave it slightly short, shouldnt touch the felt, as with the top corner at the top of wall 3 the insulation should not touch the felt , to allow a little airflow

3. Alllfff

Alllfff New Member

Thank you for your help. What is the best way to attach the kingspan to the brick wall? I was thinking a bead of expansion foam?

4. GookieMonster

GookieMonster Member

You could plug and screw it on with some washers to hold firm

5. Alllfff

Alllfff New Member

Thank you. So I stuck a camera on a stick in there and the "red line wall" is a bit more complicated than I thought.

Do you think I'm OK to seal the beam and wall along the green line and then seal kingspan between the beams along the yellow line? Thank you

Attached Files: