Insulating suspended flooring, without lifting floorboards!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Sharkford, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Sharkford

Sharkford New Member

Hi,

I'm trying to find out a solution for insulating my suspended flooring without lifting the floorboards. My house is a 1930's mid terrace that has a crawl space and due to the water table level, there is some pooling water in areas.

I'm going to insulate using mineral wool between the joists with a breathable membrane stapled underneath with wooden battens for security should the staples fail. I'm using mineral wool for the vapour permeability advantages due to the water pooling.

My question is, can I apply a DPM, on top of my floorboards? I want to then apply a carpet with underlay.

I.e. Carpet> underlay> DPM> floorboards> insulation (between joists)> breathable membrane> wooden battens.

Or should I leave the DPM and just add a decent underlay maybe that gold sided underlay and then carpet. I’m afraid of creating interstitial condensation.
    Really appreciate the help!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If the air bricks are clear of crud,& you got a good air flow under suspended floor then can't see condensation being a issue.

Would use a rigid insulation between joists,easier to work with than mineral wool,plus it has a vapour barrier,can still secure in place with battens.

You ruled any leaking pipe under crawl space!