Insulating

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by boon147, Oct 12, 2016.

1. boon147

boon147 New Member

Morning all,

Hope you are all well.

I am after a bit of advice for insulating my solid wall in my 1920's property. We bought it just under a year ago, and are renovating room by room. The first room (which is actually a conservatory but is brick on 3 sides) was done without issue as its only 10 years old, and took minimal updating.

The main room in question at the minute is north facing on the front of the house. The ground floor is suspended with about a foot void beneath with 100mm joists and air bricks, so my plan is:

* Pull up floorboards, install 80mm celotex (or similar) and lay UFH pipe on top with all air gaps sealed. This will also leave space underneath for ventilation.
    * Insulate the solid external walls (internally) only with a stud frame with celotex in-between. Again, all air gaps will be sealed, and the insulation will run up the wall completely above ceiling height ready for when I do upstairs.
    * Plaster and skim over all new walls etc

After reading many, many posts there is a wealth of conflicting views out there of how to mount the solid wall insulation. Some recommend my option of a stud frame, insulation in-between with air gaps sealed with foil tape etc, however others say ventilation is needed to stop moisture forming. Then that brings in the whole vapour layer discussion.

Also, the UFH is being put in purely for future proofing until I can get the house fully insulated (although there is already 270mm in the loft.

I just wondered what your thoughts were and if a stud frame will suffice?

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Stud for me, insulated with vapour barrier over and plasterboard over that.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. boon147

boon147 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

@ Kool PC - If I were to do that and use celotex / similar, doesn't the foil-fact act as the vapour barrier anyway? As its pennies, I would prob install it to be on safe side.

@ KIAB - Thanks, I will look into that as an additional option.

Stud frame, with sealed celotex and vapour layer wont create any moisture problems then so I understand? Think I will be going for 50mm insulation. Does there need to be a gap between the face of the insulation and the edge of the stud, or can they both be flush?

Cheers,

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Mine were flush but i used roll insulation. I did use Celotex in a small utility room roof and i didnt put a vapour barrier up aswell.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I have always used battens and a vapour barrier