Insulation for under carpet advice

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Arron Clarke, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Arron Clarke

Arron Clarke New Member

Good evening,

I live in 2 storey house but everything bar two guest bedrooms is on the first floor. Between the ground floor and the first there is void of nearly a meter between the floors. This is a great space I can access to run pipes etc but I'm concerned there is no insulation for the first floor. We only moved in to the property in March so not really experienced a cold winter but we have strated redecorating. Im wondering if there is anything I can put under the carpet underlay to insulate and prevents drafts. Alternatively, is it worth fixing something like rock wool under the floorboards / void.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Spaces between floors in the same dwelling aren’t normally insulated. Are you going to have separate heating zones downstairs?

You’d be better off laying some acoustic wool type insulation on the bottom of the void. It will have some thermal effect but also improve noise transfer.

Try and keep all cables/pipes etc well above the insulation.