Insulation over spotlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Whatdoweknow, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Whatdoweknow

Whatdoweknow New Member

Hello,
    We recently insulated our loft. We moved in last year and the spot lights were already installed.
    Just chatting to my husband and he said he put the insulation straight over the light fittings, after checking that the fittings were fire safe.
    Can anyone confirm whether the models in the picture are fire safe or whether they need an air pocket? He is going to go in the loft the weekend and create air pockets anyway, would this suffice?

Attached Files:

2. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Your husband is on another planet. You are better off paying to get the job done properly. Please get someone who is not your husband to sort the danger out before the house burns down.
    And the lights are not fire rated but even if they were fire rated it doesn't mean they are suitable to cover with flammable materials i.e loft insulation.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That ‘installation’ is very dinosaur these days. Low profile sealed 240v led spots are the norm now. Virtually zero heat generation

Sparkielev likes this.
  4. Whatdoweknow

Whatdoweknow New Member

Thank you. So, for now, we will take all of the insulation out. Can we leave the loft boards on for now?

5. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Don't use any of the lights that have been covered with insulation, you will have to use a plug in lamp until you can make it safe. There is a big potential for danger and it needs sorting out a.s.a.p

Adamfya likes this.
  6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I would get those lights replaced at some point those transformers will fail, get fire rated 240v led fittings

7. Whatdoweknow

Whatdoweknow New Member

I have just put a lamp in the hallway and tomorrow will remove all of the insulation. Can we leave the boards down?
    We want to get rid of the spot lights. We don't like them anyway so will look to have them replaced with standard light fittings.

8. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

How un helpful is this...
    Not everyone is a diy ace

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  9. dray

dray Screwfix Select

@Whatdoweknow ,
    once the insulation has been moved away from around the lights you should be ok regarding any insulation igniting. As above better to look for different downlights though.

I see you have table lamp in the hall which is fine but if you do intend to use the lights then personally I would lift whatever boards needed in the loft to allow air movement into the area between the joists where the lights are situated while you get it sorted. If the lights are straight line then one lifted either end should ventilate enough and do the job (assuming space for the air flow exists above any insulation still in place).

Alternatives are; pull the lights down from the ceiling as if decorating so they are not in any contact with anything, depends if you can put up with the holes left in the ceiling.

Disconnect all but one bulb, that is ventilated from above and clear from insulation.

Good luck with it and just don't turn them on if you are too worried about it.

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That is true, but it is important to wave a red flag when someone obviously creates a real danger.

11. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Ways and means though.
    They have obviously reached out for advice, not to be criticised

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  12. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I’m not quite sure how someone could decide that these light fittings are “fire safe”.

13. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Nope, me neither! But at least the op has reached out for some helpful advice, and, hopefully avoided a disaster