Insulation stuffed to rafters.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Stephen Haycroft, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Stephen Haycroft

Stephen Haycroft New Member

Hi all.

I've recently re insulated the loft in my new house to 300mm raising the joist and boarding over with loft boarding. However the old owners or even the owners before them have stuffed fiberglass insulation to the roofing rafters and then plasterboarded and skimmed over. Do I need to rip all this down and get the insulation out as to avoid mould/condensation problems in the future? I had to rip old insulation out of the eaves as it was stuffed in there so now air is flowing under them and into the loft.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

How do you know it's stuffed tight if it's boarded over? I would leave it until you actually start to see an issue unfold, if it's been there for years without problems there's not much point in ripping things to bits unless you're converting the loft properly.

3. Stephen Haycroft

I've boarded the floor. But the way the loft is laid out. I can see under where the rafters are and up. I've attached a few pictures. Regarding issues, I haven't seen any yet (touch wood) apart from the bitumen felt deteriorating in a few parts but I would put that down to age.

Attached Files:

4. Stephen Haycroft

To add. I do remember seeing water droplets on the underside of the felt last winter.

5. jimoz

jimoz Member

Get some of those eaves ventilator 50mm corrugated rolls. See if you can cut between rafters and slide between insu and felt. Should work

6. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

The water droplets will be vapour that has condensed on the underside of the felt. That's why a loft space needs ventilation - which is blocked by insulation in your case.

7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

A little bit of condensation droplets isn't going to do much harm and you will probably find that the air movement disperses it anyway.

Because you have increased the insulation and also unblocked the eaves there will be less chance of warm air reaching the attic and causing a problem. The one thing, I would check is the seal and insulation around the loft hatch as this can let a lot of warm air into the attic