Insurance quote for replacing green house

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by busy builder, Jan 12, 2010.

1. busy builder

busy builder New Member

I saw a quote today, to replace a 12' x 10' green house that had collapsed under the weight of snow.

£3,400 which included £465 to erect and £285 to remove and dispose of existing wreckage.

Do you think this is reasonable ? cause I think its a flippin rip off.

2. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

As the term 'greenhouse' covers anything from a poly-tunnel to a brickbuilt hand-crafted hardwood framed Orchid house - it's kind of hard to say on the level of detail provided!

3. wuddy

wuddy Member

...or was it one of the new eco houses, if so it sounds like a bargain

4. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Sorry, I'm not into greenhouses. LOL!!

Its plain alluminium with 3mm glass and sliding door at one end sat on course of bricks.

I have checked them out online and can get one for about £800 - £1000 delivered and if toughened glass is specced then another £400. With 12 year guarantee.

We had 18" of snow up here in the Highlands, his 30' x 20' timber/profile sheet garage also collapsed under the weight.

5. wuddy

wuddy Member

who is it that you think is being ripped off? if its the insurance company then i wouldnt loose too much sleep over it if i was you

6. Doink

Doink New Member

A ha, who was the quote from did you see, was it Homeserve, Solaglas-Windowcare or Martindales?

7. busy builder

busy builder New Member

No its a local chap from yellow pages.

Its the insurance oompany who is being ripped off and the client was having none of it !! quite funny really, she was fuming LOL !!

8. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

They'll probably make even more money on the scrap Aluminium they're charging to dump LOL.

9. Doink

Doink New Member

Ah right ok. Having worked for homeserve and solaglas i would say although you say its expensive and it is to be honest i can tell you its the insurance companie that set the price for each item. Generally insurance companies have preffered suppliers, the above 2 for glass, locks and frame repair and replacement, the tender is won on the agreement that they work to a price list set by the insurer. Float glass would be like £200 per sq m, all patio doors were £2000 regardless, toughened DGU's were £500, all set prices and green houses were a good price, they pay a premium because these companie offer a national network and a 24hr service hence one man bands will never get or make a living out of it. How this guy knows he can charge this is unknown, maybe he worked for both companies lol!

Homeserve when i was there was turning over £45m, solaglas were doing £25m just doing glass, locksmithing and smart repairs to pvc and aluminium and timber