Int door installed against warped frame

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by North41, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Show him a picture of the door in the catalogue. Did he have any tools other than the hatchet.

Ask him if he trained at Dewhurst's.

North41 likes this.
  2. North41

North41 New Member

Thanks - I was busily googling to see if sliding in was some sort of carpenters term!!

3. North41

North41 New Member

Thank you. Yeah the gaps in the grouting started appearing in a few places as it started drying.. I'm just grateful that I didn't pick him to do a £7/8k job out in the garden!!

I've pondered it a little and, since he supplied the door and fitted it, I am going to ask him to provide a new door, even if it's not him fitting it. Worth asking!

Going to screw up some courage and be direct with him when he turns up tomorrow. Thanks all for the suggestions - it's been so helpful to have second opinions, glad I signed up and posted!

4. North41

North41 New Member

haha - although the Dewhurst's comment is over my head!!

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The percentage of seriousness is absolutely 100%. Of course you can bloody tell him to replace it and refund it, he's FUBAR'ed it and had the cheek to lie and say it couldn't be helped. There's nothing harsh about cutting your losses before things get worse and certainly you don't have to pay him for any work he's done that is wrong or cack, that's his problem and one for his liability insurance to sort out if he wished to go down that road.

North41 likes this.
  6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Like has been recommended above, maybe ask for recommendations if u can from anyone u know. Sometimes even asking on somewhere like Facebook(if u are on it) you will get a lot of recommendations. Also might be best to get a tiler to do tiling, carpenter to do doors etc, this bloke sounds like a jack of all, master of none

North41 likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dewhurst's were a chain of butcher's a few years back....quite a few now!

North41 likes this.
  8. North41

North41 New Member

LOL if you and Jordan wanna pop over tomorrow lunchtime and absolutely roast this guy, that'd be OK!

9. What a total load of rubbish - the bloke is clearly not a carpenter, or tiler by the sound of it.

Door upside down, ill fitting, hinges badly cut and I would go for 4", it looks like he has gone for 3"

If I was hanging that door I would have a chat with the customer as soon as I realised the frame was so far out (to lighten things up a bit I usually ask for an executive decision from them, then they ask the wife) as others have said an experienced chippy could have got over the problem.

As far as I see it you have two options;

1. You have to give him a chance to put things right, so he has to supply a new door and re hang it to an acceptable standard (which we all know he probably can not) before you pay him.

2. You can claim from the quality of his work that you have seen that you have no confidence in his ability to carry out the job satisfactorily, you then don't pay him and ask him for the cost of the door. You could also say that as a matter of good will you will not charge him to dispose of the existing door or making good the damage he has caused etc.

All of the above obviously comes with the caveats of how confident you are and how big he is, if he is a monster tell him that it is not convenient for him to work today and send him a "signed for" letter with your concerns.

To be honest if he is the kind of bloke who turns out that sort of work I don't think that he is the kind of bloke who will pay for a new door but its worth a go.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  10. North41

North41 New Member

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'm not afraid of the person it's more just not wanting to offend. But we need to have a discussion when he arrives at lunchtime. About the door and about the tiling! IMG-20210420-WA0057.jpeg IMG-20210420-WA0050.jpeg IMG-20210420-WA0052.jpeg IMG-20210420-WA0048.jpeg IMG-20210420-WA0046.jpeg IMG-20210420-WA0042.jpeg IMG-20210420-WA0039.jpeg

11. I am no tiler but it looks like too much water in the grout to me, it can be raked out a re done though. The silicon finish is appalling, it needs raking out and doing again.

I am a chippie and would never take money from a customer for tiling, why does this bloke think he is a chippie and a tiler?

12. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I wouldn’t worry about offending him, I would be the one offended. He is charging you and is carrying out substandard work he is obviously not competent to do. The tiling I’m sorry to say is rough, the grout lines look different sizes in the photos. I’d be worried about how he laid them and whether they will start to come loose as well now in the future. The silicone is also a terrible finish.

Sorry, probably not what u want to hear.

13. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I don’t know how these cowboys have the front to do what they do! :mad:

14. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

To be honest it's a toss up which is the worst job: both are truly awful.

15. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

How did it go today North41 ??

16. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

that Tiling made me gag!

North41 likes this.
  17. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

At least his horse would have provided plenty of manure for the flowers.

North41 likes this.
  18. North41

North41 New Member

Hey, so, I texted him last night and just said there's a few issues I want to raise with you tomorrow about the work (just to telegraph the fact that there was a problem since when he left yesterday i didn't have the opportunity to take stock of everything)... He was supposed to arrive at lunchtime today.... Got to 1, called him a few times and no answer, then about 2.30 we got a text from him saying he's in hospital and can we rearrange for tomorrow....

It's the second time across a week or so that he's delayed work due to unforeseen medical issues.

After all the comments on here, and how much grief (in the sense of first world problems) this is causing us, me and the wife are considering just telling him not to come back. It's complicated though because he's left quite a few bits very unfinished re the tiling as well as the door... So we'll be paying someone else to do remedial work on his initial bodge.

(We've already paid him for the vast majority of the work as he was insistent on being paid before he left for the day, so we actually feel like he owes us... Hard to explain exactly what that means but essentially we feel like he's left the place in a worse condition than when he started in terms of both work and the mess left behind)

19. North41

North41 New Member

Yeah when we properly looked at it it kinda made me gag too!! We are considering whether to just get the entire thing re done. Stings, but so would knowing that this monstrosity was hiding behind the downstairs loo door.

20. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I suspect he insists on being paid as he knows the quality of his work and has been pulled up a few times and payment withheld. Absolute cowboy, wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t turn up anyway tomorrow.