Integrate dishwasher - sliding hinge

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Muzungu, May 14, 2019.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

I would be grateful if someone can confirm I am thinking correctly on this.

Looking at the AEG FSB41600Z integrated dishwasher with "sliding hinge". It is described as:

"This model has a sliding hinge. This means that, unlike a fixed hinge, the furniture doors are attached to the kitchen unit by a set of hinges. The appliance door is then attached to the furniture door using a set of sliders, so when you open it, the appliance door slides across this bracket. Please check that your old appliance had a sliding hinge, or that your kitchen unit has pre-drilled holes for one, or this model won’t fit."

I will be fitting this, if I am right about its operation, in a 600mm gap between two units. From the above description I am assuming, maybe incorrectly or correctly, that the hinges are fixed to the units on each side at the bottom and then when opened the decor door slides up, pivoting on the hinges, on the separate sliders attached to the actual unit appliance door? Assuming also that I can drill the relevant holes in the units each side.

Does that sound like how it works? Apologies if it is obvious but it's not entirely clear to me from the above.

2. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Member

That doesn't sound right to me. The description sounds like a fridge freezer door and that info has been copied and pasted by mistake.
    Looking at the link it looks like a standard integrated dishwasher. If so it will have two plastic brackets which are screwed to the door and slide into the slots at the top of the dishwasher door. Then quite often it will have double sided sticky pads that are put on lower down to help line up the door with adjacent doors before you use screws to hold it firm.

Also looking at the video in the link the door does not look to slide anywhere...

Check your door heights. Dishwashers are usually fine with 720mm tall doors, but with 738mm doors as found at Wickes and benchmark the dishwasher will need to be lowered a bit otherwise the door won't open fully.

Muzungu likes this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Thanks for that. I am pretty sure that this AEG dishwasher has a decor panel attachment system that does slide up in relation to the appliance as you open in order that there is no possibility of hitting the plinth.

Just found this description on the AEG site itself which seems to confirm that the decor panel raises up in relation to the appliance door itself on opening (note bold):

"SEAMLESS INTEGRATION

PerfectFit Sliding Hinge system makes for seamless dishwasher installation. It accommodates all niche machine heights and removes the need to cut the plinth. Fit for any modern kitchen."

As I say it looks as though the hinge has some sort of attachment to the unit each side on installation and the decor panel then slides up in relation to that fixed hinge although it is not entirely clear in the description. The decor panel definitely slides up though.

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Found an explanation and video! The decor panel does slide up in relation to the door and you were also right in that the text has been pasted into the description in error by AO by someone who misunderstood the AEG sliding hinge and assumed, wrongly, it was similar to the fridge system. It does actually looks to be an ingenious way to prevent having to cut the plinth.

5. Alster

Alster Member

Yes the door dose slide. I’ve never installed or worked on one so can’t advise on fitting.

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

A bit late to the party on this OP, have never installed the AEG D/W sliding door version. But have installed loads of Hotpoint D/W's with the sliding door. They are basically the same as any other Integrated D/W and in fact take no longer to install. If you havn't actually bought the D/W yet, i would take a look at the Hotpoint as it will almost certainly be cheaper than an AEG.

Muzungu likes this.
  7. Alster

Alster Member

Just remember you get what you pay for!! (Mostly...)

Muzungu likes this.
  8. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Excellent, I was hoping you'd turn up :) Haven't bought anything yet but just trying to negate any issue with the plinth before I do. Any cutout would be visible as the dishwasher is in direct line of the utility room and then the full length of the kitchen so would be really obvious and everything is really clean lines. Having a look at the Hotpoints now. Thanks again, really helpful.

9. kitfit1

Yep, work and life has kept me away from the forum over recent times :D

I fully understand where you are coming from on this. More often than not a kitchen designer will place a D/W in full view of a kitchen door that leads to the hallway and in full view of the front door. The first thing anyone sees when they walk through your front door is the cutout on the plinth for your dishwasher :mad:. That's after you have spent 10's of thousands on a kitchen and Karndean on the ground floor, it looks ****. If we have the option when fitting a kitchen to swap the D/W position to the washing machine position to negate that, we will. There are of course other circumstances where the kitchen is so big, you will see the cutout anyway.

There are almost certainly other makes, think Bosch and Siemens................but they will probably not be cheap. One thing i will add about the Hotpoint though, it is easily the quietest D/W by a long way that i have ever heard. I remember the first one we fitted, it took us ages to decide if it was even working :D

WillyEckerslike and Muzungu like this.
  10. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Well-Known Member

Just fitted one today. Think it was a Zanussi. Quite a common feature now. Easy enough to fit. The template lines up with the DW door itself so when fitting with a top rail in place above the DW just lower the paper template on the door by 2 CM. No more weird notches in the plinth runs. Always looked carp on a white gloss kitchen.

One thing to note is that the fixing screw can only be fitted with the door open about 65deg so in a corner position you have to take the DW out again to get at the screw. Bad design there!

WillyEckerslike and Muzungu like this.
  11. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Mine's white gloss so it will look nasty. It seems the manufacturers are wise to this now as it used to be an issue all the time. Some guy, I think Swedish, came up with an add-on for doors but it wasn't cheap and looked a bit of a faff to fit https://www.adapt-r.co.uk/.

Good that there's no need for this these days with a bit of forward planning.

12. kitfit1

I take it @metro you are talking about a Zanussi ? Not come across that on a hotpoint yet. But also havn't fitted one in a corner yet either.

13. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Just spent some time researching this, because I am a bit sad, and I see AEG and Zanussi both describe their sliding hinge system as "PerfectFit", patented. All new to me but they all are owned by the Electrolux group. The things one learns when set off on a path!

14. kitfit1

Exactly., the reality is, it was invented by Hotpoint lol................................all the different manufacturers jump on these things very fast. In fact on your OP AEG say they have a patent on it....................................do they hell as like. It's been around for years, it's just that they couldn't be bothered to implement it. Or more importantly, pay to implement it.

15. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Well-Known Member

There are only two appliance manufacturers in the mass market. They own all the common brands between them. Often the appliances are very similar or even identical.
    Old trick, sell the same item at different prices to different people.