Integrated Intel Graphics - a permanent compromise?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Allsorts, Oct 12, 2018.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

With an air rifle.
    I do hope it was a .22.

fillyboy likes this.
  2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Yes, hollow point .22 pellets would be ideal imco.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yes, I agree. The difficulty arises when trying to target onto a quivering scotsmans knobbaly knees at anything other than point blank range.
    The blindingly off putting glare of pure white is one thing, but it's the scrawny ever shifting tremble of the target that really separates the men from the boys.

fillyboy likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

When I was shooting people I found a 7.62 was fine.

Jord86 likes this.
  5. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Is that inches or millimetres.
    I can imagine you with a home made cannon :cool:
    PhilSo

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Phil, it's not the drink, it's the medication:)

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I had no Idea that DA even replied to that post ? Wish i had seen it now :D

8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Did you see a reply Isit?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

mm standard NATO calibre.

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I don't recall that I did.

I mean, did it warrant a reply...? :rolleyes:

11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Cheers Bob.

I do get the advantage of a dedicated graphics card.

The point I was trying to work out was, does a - say i7 - CPU with integrated graphics make that i7 chip a lesser chip than an i7 without, or are all i7 chips (of the same speed) identical? I mean, if I were to add a graphics card to a system which currently had integrated graphics, would that now become as good as any i7 CPU with dedicated graphics card? Or does the fact that part of that i7 chip has the integrated graphics on it now make that part of the chip redundant once a dedicated card is added. Will that chip now have the int graph part of it sitting idle?

Still interested in understanding that for the future, tho' for this actual machine it's a fait accompli - I've gone for an HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Desktop with Intel Core i7-7700, 8GB, 256GB SSD and this has HD630 int graphics.

Stupidly OTT, but very compact and I got it for just over £500. SAM_0002.JPG

CraigMcK likes this.
  12. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Fitting a dedicated graphics card and disabling the internal graphics arrangement will free up the i7 to do the basic computing while the new card with it's own dedicated processor will do all of the number crunching for the graphics. It should improve the PC speed and make moving graphics smoother during frame changes. That's what we do with PC based arcade machines that run driving games.

Allsorts likes this.
  13. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Yes but...

Where is the 'dedicated graphics' located? Is it separately on the MOBO (I have all the right words) or is it part of the actual i7 chip? If it's the latter, then do ALL i7 chips have it?

What I'm trying to get at is, if I buy a PC with an i7 chip which has part of the chip set aside for graphics, have a bought a 'compromised' chip should I then fit a dedicated graphics card? Is that 'integrated' graphics sections then sitting idle and making the chip a lesser being?

Are there i7 chips which REQUIRE a dedicated graphics card - ie don't have graphics built in? Ie an i7 chip which is only a CPU processor?