Integrated washing machine - Adapt an old door to a new washing machine

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by uklance, Feb 29, 2012.

1. uklance

uklance New Member

My old integrated washing machine has died and I'm about to buy a new one to replace it.

• I would like to keep the old door and attach it to the new washing machine.
    • The old door has two recessed holes (approx 40mm diameter) drilled in it to house the hinges for the old model.
    • The hinges for the new model are at different heights to the old model.
    • The old washing machine is Neff, the new model is Beko WMI71641.
    Questions:
    <ol>[*]Is it possible to attach a bracket / adapter to the new washing machine so that I can avoid drilling any holes in the door?[*]If 1. is not possible, I guess I will need to drill new holes for the new hinge positions. I am afraid the holes will overlap and there will be nowhere for the screws to screw in. Any suggestions here?</ol>
    Cheers,
    Lance.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i assume your talking about a cabinet door to a cupboard :)

3. uklance

uklance New Member

Yes, it's a wooden door that matches the rest of the cupboards in the kitchen.

4. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

I always thought that the hinge locations were standardised.

I had a problem where the holes for the screws, which hold the hinge in place on the door, had enlarged so much that the door would not stay in place. I tried using wood filler but that was unsuccessful.

Eventually I bought four chromed mushroom headed coach bolts and nuts, enlarged the holes in the door and hinge, and fixed the door to the hinges with the domed head on the outside and the nuts on the inside.

The door longer matches the other doors, but at least the door is in place.

5. no comment

no comment New Member

fill holes with decent plastic filler or wood then redrill, very rare holes mach even on same makers machines would be to easy

6. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Probably best to avoid drilling holes in your new machine, this would invalidate the warranty and worse, you may "hit" something inside the machine whilst drilling

If the new hinge positions overlap with the existing cutouts on the door then you need to fill them. Make 2 blanking plugs out of MDF / Furniture board, same diameter and depth by using a hole cutter. Glue and clamp these plugs in the hinge cutouts and allow to dry

Fit hinges to the machine amd carefully measure position, mark these measurments onto the door. Cut out new hinge recesses using a hinge cutter drill bit (if not used one before then pratice on some scrap wood, use of a pillar drill is recommended) and especially watch the depth of cut

Your door should now fit......

Just a thought, do the hinges fit directly onto the washing machine or are there plastic spacers between the hinge and the machine ?

7. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Most do have the plastic spacers!

Snezza

8. uklance

uklance New Member

Great idea... thanks!! I prefer the idea of filling the holes with wood rather than using a filler as I think that wood will be better to screw into with the new hinge. At this stage, I only have the old machine and the hinges screw directly into it. Not sure about the new one which is being delivered on the weekend.

I'm still hoping that I can find some form of bracket / adapter so that I can fit the old hinge to the new appliance. I was hoping that this was a common problem with a simple solution. I was thinking that it's common for kitchen cabinets to outlive the washing machine's lifespan. If this happens again the door will start to fall apart if I'm drilling and filling again and again.

9. soulsaver

soulsaver New Member

I know this is old but for people finding their way to the same question: For integrated washing m/cs the cupboard door holes can't have a 'standard' position 'cos the hinge bracket fixes to the body of the machine.

So?
    So the machine stands on the floor and uses leg adjustment to level it side to side & front to back.. hence the door height will likely alter from house to house.
    Now as the doors need to line up with adjacent cabinet doors and there is only a couple of mm adjustment at the hinge, the hinge blind holes have to be cut to suit the sited and levelled machine.

Now, in the OPs circumstances of clashing holes I look to see if there is other integrated goods - dishwasher, fridge or freezer with the same size door.

If your lucky they have and aren't drilled - so swap them for the dishwasher door and cut the hinge holes in the 'new' virgin door.

Note make sure the washer is stable, level side to side AND front to back BEFORE transferring your measures/template reference line on the cupboard door.

Failing the above, you're filling, gluing and re-cutting.