Integrated washing machine door fitting

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by zedlep, Jul 27, 2017.

1. zedlep

zedlep New Member

Hi everybody,

I have a hinge kit for my integrated washing machine which I am about to fit.

Machine is: Hoover HWB 814 DN1 (I think machine is also badged Candy.)
    Kit is: 41026810

It came without instructions so I've tried to work out how things fit together and attach to the machine.

I've included a couple of snaps of the kit and machine fitting holes for reference.

I presumed the following:

Packers (1) overlay machine drilled holes (A)
    Screws (6) and washers (5) attach Hinges (3) to machine through packers (1).

Screws (4) attach the hinge to cabinet door, packer (2) fits in position shown but I am unsure of its purpose.

Magnet (8) attached to cabinet door using screw (7).

Metal plate (9), rubber shim (10) assembled per picture to form retain mechanism.

Blanking plug (12), hides unused holes on striker side.

The problem I have, however, is, screws (6) are extremely tight fit in hinge and do not properly screw into machine holes (A).
    The other screws (4) are too small and could only be used to fix hinge to cabinet door.
    I am also unsure what plastic washers (11) used for. If they were to be used as spacers for metal bar, the screws (7) wouldn't be long enough.

I was assured by the sales person this is the correct kit for the model so I've been trying to work out what's what.

If anyone has used this or a similar kit and has top tips, I'd be grateful.

Much obliged.

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

shims 11 ,go behind magnet 8 ( if required to reach ) 9 goes on top of 10, so metal touches magnet ,white shim touching machine. screws 6 are self tappers and have to cut a thread into the metal of machine. they are tight to go in. so you need the correct size and type of screwdriver ,in good condition at its tip ,to drive them in .you drive in half a turn clockwise , quarter turn anti clockwise ,half turn clock wise ,quarter anti clockwise repeat ..repeat...it will go in .and I think you have the white shim behind hinge the wrong way around on your photo.

3. zedlep

zedlep New Member

Cheers TerryMac.
    Great help, I just wouldn't have guessed the screws had to cut a thread.
    I assembled things as you suggested, with a little brinksmaship drilling the hinge holes.
    I padded the magnetic catch with a rubber washer to give a little adjustability.
    Sits nice now.
    Many thanks.

Attached Files:

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

OH NO ,you haven't drilled the holes bigger in the machine have you :eek::eek:

5. zedlep

zedlep New Member

Eek, one second there you panicked me...I meant the hinge holes in the mdf door (see pic). I let the screws tap their own thread in the machine, as you suggested.
    Job's a good un! Cheers.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Ha ha ,thought you done the machine ,to make the screws looser...had visions of the door flying off when doing a spin....happy days !

7. IanEagle

IanEagle New Member

A similar but different problem here... Recently had a kitchen fitted and I've become annoyed with the fit of the door on my integrated Hoover Washing machine. Attempting to fix and refit it, I bought a new fitting kit for the machine and have discovered that the builders who fitted it (they are not coming back, my choice!) have obviously struggled with it and in the top holes on the machine for the hinges they've used larger machine screws and made the holes bigger, which is why the door is wobbly and not fitting properly!! Any ideas how I could overcome this? Wider self tapping/drilling machine screws? Metal filler?? Any ideas welcome!

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  8. IanEagle

IanEagle New Member

My builders have!! :(:mad:
    See above

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Do the screws not tighten up ?
    Don't really know what your problem is Ian. Pics may help.

10. IanEagle

IanEagle New Member

The correct screws won't even hold, the builders have made the holes in the washing machine bigger than they originally were, they've put machine screws in but they wobble and the door isn't held on properly

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Are you saying that the builders have used machine screws into holes in the washing machine as if they were self tappers? Would rivnuts work in that case?

12. IanEagle

IanEagle New Member

Yes it looks like it!
    I don't know what rivnuts are, I'll take a look...
    Thanks

13. IanEagle

IanEagle New Member

OK so it may work, but I don't see how I'd make the rivnuts stay in the holes

14. WillyEckerslike

They work like a pop rivet in so much as you insert them from one side and as you withdraw the mandrel, the nut is squeezed either side of the workpiece. You do need the tool to insert them but I imagine you should find a relatively economic solution on eBay or Amazon - there might even be a complete kit.

IanEagle likes this.
  15. IanEagle

IanEagle New Member

So I used rivnuts, it's better but still a little wobble at that top hinge. Thanks for your advice!

If I wanted to remove and replace the rivnuts, what's the best way?

16. WillyEckerslike

I've never had to remove any but I should imagine you'll need to drill them out like you would a pop rivet

IanEagle likes this.
  17. Alster

Alster Member

Bit late now but I’ve only just seen this. Normally the hinges are held on by machine screws that screw into a plate on the inside of the case of the machine. I would guess these have fell off at some point and are inside the washing machine.

IanEagle likes this.
  18. BLANK1

BLANK1 New Member

Hi guys got similar problem plate has dropped down on my Beko washing machine is there any way to get them back on or use something different

19. boylemeister

boylemeister New Member

Hi all, picking this thread up from the past looking for some help please. I've got the exact same washing machine above - Hoover HWB 814 DN1 - any tips on how I find out what size those self tapping screws (#6 in the pics) are please? The door on ours has been bodged by whoever fitted it and it's loose now. I'm certain I don't have the correct screws and have no idea what to order. Ideally didnt want to have to order the whole kits. Cheers!

20. IanEagle

IanEagle New Member

I'm still living with this wobbly door :(