Intermittent audible delayed vibration in kitchen pipework

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BT66, Jan 14, 2022.

1. BT66

BT66 New Member

Can anyone identify the cause of the following :
    Intermittently hearing what seems to be a metallic pipe vibration , after using & turning off hot water at kitchen sink . The vibration /murmur is for probably less than a second , can happen 1 -4 times & can occur between 5 & 20 mins after turning off hot tap . No vibration heard whilst water running . Hot water is fed by combi boiler in kitchen . Hot pipes serving kitchen sink & bathroom sink & cold mains pipe and pipe to water tank in loft all on the surface , no visible issues , no broken clips . Due to intermittent & random nature still not been able to identify which pipe is vibrating , I do not believe it is the plastic waste pipe . Note : I have got the mains flow turned down at the stop cock in the kitchen as the mains pressure / flow seems so fierce . I have also sent email to boiler manufacturer , seeking advice - do not appear to experience issue after running cold tap . Have been told it cold be air in the system ?? I have no plumbing knowledge , as you can tell . It seems to me that energy is being built up in a pipe which is then released by the vibration . Like I say it is intermittent , for example I have used two bowls of hot water this morning with no vibrations heard ? Thanks in advance for anyone reading this post & giving a response .

2. These noises can be really difficult sometimes to cure.
    As an easy starting suggestion, is the tap a lever type? if it is I’ve had it before where it was letting by slightly dripping, and causing a shuddering through the pipe. Changed the cartridge and it solved the issue.
    I’d be surprised if it was air as you would expect it to be forced out with a high pressure behind it.
    You can get mini shock arresters that fit close to the tap or appliance causing the issue, could be worth trying one of these.

3. BT66

BT66 New Member

Thanks for the response pppmacca43 , much appreciated . The tap is a round head pillar type , not a lever quarter turn . As I try to avoid over tightening it , it can sometimes have a slight drip which accelerates and needs a second closure ( but this does not appear to coincide with the vibrations ) . I could try closing off more firmly first time . Any other ideas for the cause would be greatly appreciated .

4. Could be a loose jumper in the tap cartridge(it’s the part that holds the washer). Is it an older tap?

sometimes the main stoptap can cause issues if not open fully(then back 1/2 a turn) but you’d expect it to happen on all outlets if this was the case.

5. BT66

BT66 New Member

Thanks again . Tap is very new . I do have the main stop cock in the kitchen turned down "very low" as the mains pressure seems very high , I have had it this way for months / years to as I thought take pressure off the internal system . Must admit I do get a "wooshing sound" when the cold tap at sink fully opened ( but no noticeable vibrations after ) . Can gradually try opening stop cock , in stages , to see what affect that has . like I say the stop cock has been at its current setting a long time before these vibrations began to occur . Thank you for the advice . Am I able to ask the local water board to reduce the "pressure" in the street at the meter / their stop cock ?

6. You could probably turn the outside stopcock down which would reduce the flow.

The way to reduce pressure would be to put a pressure reducing valve after the stoptap inside with a gauge on and reduce it using that. I have one fitted in my house and set down to 3 bar as the incoming mains is so high.

7. BT66

BT66 New Member

OK thanks for the advice . I will need to contact a local plumber for that . Thanks for your time & effort .