Intermittent RCD trips - would an earth leakage clamp help me find the culprit?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dan_CE, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Dan_CE

Dan_CE New Member

I'm getting intermittent RCD trips. They are happening at random but about once a day on average.
    When it trips, the RCD trips but also the breaker for "sockets" I have two questions.

1) Is it near-definite that the fault will be on the "sockets" ring or is it possible that the RCD tripping will sometimes just cause the "sockets" ring to trip due to the disturbance to the power? I guess I'm wondering does the RCD always trip along with the individual ring or can the RCD trip on its own and leave the ring breaker untripped?

2) Would an earth leakage clamp be the way find the culprit? I really don't want to spend weeks getting to the bottom of this if a £70 spend would sort it out really quickly?

many thanks!!

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Fault could be anywhere, if earth - neutral can be hard to find, but unplugging items not in use can help.

The clamp on meter able to measure 0.001 amp like this upload_2021-11-4_11-4-32.png can help, but over £40 to measure that low so not cheap. An insulation tester upload_2021-11-4_11-7-39.png likely cheaper I picked up one like shown for £30 although have seen them at £50, but the clamp on stops working once it has tripped, the insulation tester is used on dead circuits, but the insulation tester uses 500 volt to test with, so not without risk.

Point is if better to use that £40 to get some one who knows what they are doing?

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select