Internal door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by kris123, Jan 13, 2010.

1. kris123

kris123 New Member

hi guys hope somebody can help i have fitted 9 new internal doors in a customers house all are good except one which when closed is flush at the bottom on the lock side but is about 1/2'' out at the top i have never come accross this before when replacing any doors and wondered if there is anything i can do for this?
    Hope somebody may be able to help me
    Thanks

2. dunc

dunc New Member

you will have to move the doors stops.

3. wuddy

wuddy Member

this is door hanging 101 if you dont know how to do this then you should not be working on a customers house unsupervised

1. as said above if it has planted stops move them
    2. if it is a stud wall knock it over at the bottom
    3. undo the casing legs both sides to adjust
    4. move 1 hinge in and the other out

can i just ask why has this customer employed your services?
    did you bullsh it them into thinking you could do the job or did you do it for peanuts?

honest answer please considering i took the time to teach you how to do the job

4. kris123

kris123 New Member

Manweb you are an arrogant *

1 there not planted stops
    2 its a brick wall not stud
    3 undo the casing legs its a house from the 1800's so it has that many coats of gloss on it would take 3 weeks to find where its fixed plus this would also then take the frame out of flush witht he plaster.
    4 if i move the hinges 1 out the other in it still wont be flush as that will also alter the hanging side which then wont be flush.

No i managed to get this job without * thanks and no not working for peanuts.
    And as for teaching me, all your answers were * you mug

[Edited by: admin]

5. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

hi
    kris123 are you a time served carpenter?

chippie84

6. kris123

kris123 New Member

yes only been doing it 6 years though. and iv never come up against this problem.

7. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

kris123

i can accept that youve only been doing for 6 years,but you live and learn and thats what its all about,not trying to be funny but if i were you i would lay off the aggressive attitiude to tradesmen such as manweb,hes clearly explained how to do the job,so take it on the chin and move on and consider it expierence gained.

chippie84

8. Guest

Hi kris don't mind them, although manweb is a good chippy,have you thought of adding a piece of timber to the frame so it is in line the door ,some of the guys are wind up merchants as you can see.The customer must realize everything cannot be perfect in a house that old goodluck.

9. kris123

kris123 New Member

yes i would but manwebs got the attitude.
    So where in his post does he say how to do the job i must have missed it as all his answers along with his rudeness was of no help to me.
    I admit its all experienced gained and thats why im trying to find out how to remedy it.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The correct answer IS there.

11. Guest

Kris what type of door are you fitting,you could remove the doorstops and force the part that is sticking out in towards the door frame but past the door frame and keep it secured by adding a nail in the frame but you will have to leave it closed for about 4 days which wont be no good if the room is in use.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

More useless advise from the forum idiot ^

13. Guest

Kris if you scored down where the doorstops meet the frame with a stanley knife you will reduce the damage to the surrounding paintwork.

14. kris123

kris123 New Member

well which one is the answer chippie i honestly cant see it.
    its just a hollow 4 panel door.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I know you think it's not the answer but you've got to adjust the hinges. Bring the bottom of the door out and it will throw the top in.

16. kris123

kris123 New Member

ok i understand but then the bottom wont be flush with the frame on the hanging side and doing so will solve the problem on the lock side but create the same problem at the bottom on the hanging side???
    Or is this all you can do for the problem??/

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you can't do the other things Manweb suggested then that's all thats left.

18. RK Joiner

RK Joiner New Member

If it's hollow fill doors, it is quite possible that the door is warped... These doors aren't the best to start off with, if they,ve been incorrectly stored ie in a temperature variable enviroment and not flat then the door may not be true!

Take a 6ft level and hold it onto the face of the door on locking side, if the level/straight edge does not lie flat then along the door surface then the door isn,t straight.

I,ve had this before with cheap doors,,, if the door is true, then as per previous posts, either move or replace checks or split the difference by adjusting hinge!

19. Guest

244 no clue as usual what is the matter 244 couldn't you find it on wiki you bafoon.

20. speed

speed New Member

if the door is not warped and you dont want to adjust the hinges the only other option is to remove some material of the door frame with a multimaster/router/chisel