Internal Shed Walls Question

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by OSBAli, Sep 25, 2017.

1. OSBAli

OSBAli New Member

Hi Gents, and Gals,
    Quick question - What do you think would be the cheapest material to clad the inside of a "shed". I say shed, timber structure, covered in shiplap, sitting on a concrete plinth - to be used as a gym inside. Will also have soft foam mats inside covering the floor area. Had to spend an arm and a leg getting this structure up and costs are mounting. My plan was to have interior walls made up from 9mm OSB, and even this is coming in at like 300 odd quid not including the battens I need to affix to. As these are interior walls, what do you think are the options? MDF seems more expensive too, hardwood is only like 3mm and reviews show it to be very flaky. The cavity I am leaving empty as a side note as I didn't think insulation would serve any purpose given I cant properly seal the shed and also prob will need air and stuff floating around. :) Cheers.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

A few options I think, OSB or ply (thicker than 3mm!) would be OK, but without insulation it won't be very warm, either would need sealing with preservative/some kind of coating, don't use MDF. Depending on what kind of "finish" you're after, take a look at "airtec double" which is a kind of silver lined bubble wrap. You could staple and tape this to the insides, it would seal it (prevent drafts) and also provide some insulation factor too.

Is stocked by our hosts, may be cheaper elsewhere...use aluminium tape to seal overlapping joins.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-airtec-double-1-5-x-25m/50913

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

4. OSBAli

OSBAli New Member

thanks for that, was thinking the same. Seems a bit pricey for the airtec but it obviously is there for a reason. Is coating the OSB for interior necessary? And would a wood stain or some paint that has good sealing properties?
    and finally people have mentioned you need/don't need a vapour barrier (or builders paper?) for things like mould and the like - what is your take, and is it an absolute must? Bearing in mind, its not an absolute requirement to be warm inside - "no pain, no gain" philosophy :) .... and for those cold days/nights there are always halogen heaters (Can of worms time ...)
    Many thanks!

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Coating of OSB or ply used inside is needed really only if its going to get damp e.g. where its near the ground. Its typically use on the floor and ceilings of sheds without being treated though. I would at least give it a coat of preservative so I have confidence it'll last (Everbuild Lumberjack Triple Action Wood Treatment, from competitor).

VCL is needed to prevent warm moist air hitting cold surfaces, perhaps not needed in your shed if you're not using insulation. Moist air will condense on a cold surface and then you can have a rot problem. The beauty of the airtec is that its also a VCL. If you were going to the trouble and expense of insulating the walls and boarding over, I'd say add a VCL. In your case, I don't think its warranted.

I'd cost up the options of OSB + preservative + battens compared with airtec stapled and taped and go from there.

6. OSBAli

OSBAli New Member

thanks Dr, just came back to this and re-read some of the answers. So what I decided on was loglap on the outside, I have put up battons inside and plan to put up 11/15mm OSB internal walls. I will have a Perspex window, so will expect some heat loss from that however my question was, and again I know it probably has been answered in part, but my plan was to put loft insulation in the cavity. Is this wise? Would it help with insulation, and would I be fine with this and no VCL?
    Many thanks,

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Loft insulation (rockwool type) is fine, but I'd put some kind of VCL, just a thin polythene sheet, over the top of it and under the OSB. You will get condensation inside I reckon, both from human breath/sweat but also without. Shed internal temperature can vary quite a bit and hence so can moisture content. Without a VCL you'll get condensation forming on the inside of the wood loglap and it'll rot, used 500ga thickness on my log cabin roof.