Internal wall grille to reduce window condensation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pal123, Jan 26, 2023.

1. pal123

pal123 Member

I'm looking at installing an internal wall grille over bedroom doors to reduce condensation on the windows during winter.

The idea is that now, at night when the bedroom doors are closed, condensation builds up on the window's interior surface.

If an internal wall grille is installed, which circulates air internally from the hallway to the bedroom(s), this should improve airflow and reduce the condensate build up. I don't want to install an external through wall vent through the bedrooms' exterior walls as a lot of heat will be lost.

Luckily there are old glass panes above the doors which I can knock out, replace with 18mm plywood, then cut a rectangle out and screw in these wall vents. A product like this aluminium sliding wall vent (9"x9", https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23385285...CqI2MB0xljJUWKnSth3rNzogBMsv|tkp:BFBMkvDY6r1h) could work.

Has anyone else tried venting internally from the corridoor? Is this a good idea? Constructive advice please, thanks

2. MikeByfield

MikeByfield Active Member

Check the gap under the doors. There is a building reg for this as it allows air circulation but I forget what it is.

Other than that you might need to look at the entire ventilation of the house and possibly trickle vents in the windows if they’re not there.

3. pal123

pal123 Member

There is a 3mm gap under all the bedroom interior doors and all the windows have trickle vents. This one small bedroom still gets condensate build up

4. MikeByfield

MikeByfield Active Member

3mm isn’t enough. Open it up a bit to 10mm and see how you get on with that.