Internal wall insulation - help!!

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Jackoo2, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Jackoo2

Jackoo2 New Member

Hi,

We’re currently in the process of completely renovating our master bedroom from brick. Our house is old (circa 1900 semi-detached). We’ve gone to town and literally ripped everything out so we’re completely starting from scratch - I want the external walls internally insulating and then the full lot boarded and skimmed including false ceiling.

The room is large full front bedroom so I’m thinking stud wall with gap and then insulated board, fully sealed etc.

I can’t seem to find anyone who can do the job. I’ve read online that you’ve got to be careful with internal insulation as it can cause damp/condensation problems. Does anyone know how I can find someone that knows what they’re doing to do the full job? I know exactly what I want and we’re ready to go but I can’t find anyone!

I’ve had contact with a few plasterers who look good but they don’t seem to understand about vapour control barriers etc. And one of the walls to be insulated is around two large windows, needs a radiator installed, so I need to make sure it’s done properly. I know vapour control is important and everything needs to be done properly around windows, fixings etc. The wall also has an air brick now and I need to know if that needs blocking up or not if we have a stud cavity.

Am I best getting my joiner to build the studs, ceiling, and then just get a decent plasterer out or are there actually people that can do this type of work? We’re Manchester, based.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Jack

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The work is just standard carpentry work with a small bit of plumbing thrown in. Get a good carpenter to undertake the work you want doing then a plasterer to skim the walls, then a plumber to fit your rad.

3. whatsthenews

whatsthenews Member

Are the external walls cavity or solid masonry and if solid, how thick?