Internal Wall Insulation Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TeamRocket, Sep 16, 2022.

1. TeamRocket

TeamRocket New Member

Hi All,

We've got a solid wall Victorian property full renovation coming up soon, any recommendations for internal wall insulation?

Previous installed 25mm PIR on 2x1" battens and boarded over, about 65mm thickness.

Seen a lot of advertisement for the Superfoil products, so have spoken with them add they reckon their foil between 2 sets of battens will out perform the equivalent PIR. Never worked with the stuff before, can't find any reviews and seems a lot more work. Anyone experienced it before?

Any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

2. Kopseng

Kopseng New Member

PIR is probably your best bet. Foil doesn't add that air gap you want, besides the bubbles in the bubble wrap which isn't much. So it only stops radiation energy, but still allows conduction. The best method I found is to use PIR backed insulated plasterboard with dot and dab. But this stuff is expensive... However you can make it yourself cheap, just buy the sheet insulation (has foil on both sides) and use spray contact adhesive to stick it to the back of plasterboard you've already cut to fit. There's less waste that way too, as you can still use odd small pieces of insulation if you have any irregular shapes of board you need to put up. The likes of celotex and Kingspan is quite expensive but most builders merchants have cheaper alternatives. I did this, I'd also installed a studded damp membrane to the wall, probably not needed but to be safe. And was then able to fix the boards flush to the membrane to reduce how much it all protruded from the wall.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have done it twice using battens and insulation inbetween, vapour barrier and the PB.

4. TeamRocket

TeamRocket New Member

Cheers, I've done PIR + PB on battens lots of times before. Interestingly never D&D the PIR on though, thought the void behind was necessary to avoid damp, also quicker for the electrician running cables as it saves them some chasing.

The Superfoil product is supposed to be about 40mm thick when not sandwiched between the battens.
    Sceptical as I've never experienced nor seen any reviews not from their own website.

5. TeamRocket

TeamRocket New Member

PIR or Superfoil?

I always fixed PIR to battens as per architect specification, believe to stop cold bridging through the battens. Thought the void between battens was necessary to avoid damp.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Just treated battens screwed to wall, rolled insulation inbetween, vapour barrier and then pb. Never had issues.