Internal walls are very poorly supported

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dan_aka_jack, Sep 12, 2009.

1. bentbolt

bentbolt New Member

Worked in the N/West for almost 40 years and the dividing wall between front and back rooms in older houses are almost always single brick with the joists over lapping. we quite often come across upstairs partition brick walls built on the original t&g floorboards and not always built over a joist with no supporting wall directly below.
    pete

2. dan_aka_jack

dan_aka_jack New Member

BentBolt wrote: "we quite often come across upstairs partition brick walls built on the original t&g floorboards and not always built over a joist with no supporting wall directly below."

Very, very interesting. Thanks for the info.

2 quick questions:

1) When you came across poorly supported brick internal walls, did the local building control officer ask you to insert a modern support for the wall? Or was it OK to just leave it supported only by the floor boards?

2) Have you ever come across a load-bearing internal wall which was built onto the floor boards without any foundation on the ground floor?

3. ecm

ecm New Member

You must have worked on some very grand terraces ecm.
    I have never seen a 9 inch internal wall in a terrace.

Not grand terraces, I'm talking about standard 2up2down victorian terraces. If you've never seen a 9" internal wall in a terrace take a look at this wall. It's on the ground floor and continues at 9" all the way up to the loft.

4. dan_aka_jack

dan_aka_jack New Member

Many thanks for the replies.

I'm starting to get builders round to quote for underpinning the internal walls.

Do you folks know if we need to notify the local Building Control Officer for underpinning internal walls in an end-of-terrace house? I know we'd need BCO approval for underpinning external walls... but how about for internal walls? And will engineering drawings be required for underpinning?

I've just had a builder pop round to give a quote and he suggested that we don't need wither BCO approval or engineering drawings.

5. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

How come, Jacko, that Building Control is involved in
    this floor replacement?

As aforementioned........

6. dan_aka_jack

dan_aka_jack New Member

Sorry, Lucia, I'm being a bit dense...

Do you mean: no, I do not need Building Control for underpinning internal load bearing walls?

Do I need engineering calcs?

And do I need to inform my insurance company?!?

(remember, these are internal walls which have been entirely stable for over 100 years - the only reason we need to underpin is because we're going to dig out the living room by about 150mm in order to construct a proper suspended timber floor)

7. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Do you mean: no, I do not need Building Control for underpinning internal load bearing walls?

Danjack: I questioned the need for BC involvement for the replacement of a simple suspended floor. The fact that you've now discovered that a few internal walls seem to be unsupported, is a secondary issue, but still not subject to LABC interference.

You've already said that you're expecting a visit from a BCO, and that you've had two Structural Engineers in to inspect this supposed problem.

Sorry dear, but I think you're making mountains out of molehills. And now you wonder whether to inform your Insurance Company....... Do you enjoy making a rod for your own back?

For goodness' sake, replace that floor and support those walls by some sensible and practical method without the interfence of others - including well-meaning internet fora twits.....

Lucia.

8. dan_aka_jack

dan_aka_jack New Member

OK, fair enough! I just wanted to make sure I was doing it legitimately!

9. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Never mind legitimacy, dear. Just do it right. The "Law" couldn't care less whether your elderly walls show sight cracks.....

Lucia.

10. inkpad

inkpad New Member

Underpinning of any wall to a building requires a building regulation application, as does replacing the floor structure.

They are both structural works which can go wrong if carried out by billy the bodgey builder.

11. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Don't talk out of your arse, Inkpad, for goodness' sake!

Are you a Local Council employed waster, by any chance?

What next? Will we have to notify the Council and pay a fee to put out our black sacks or wheelie bins?

Jesus, Joseph and Lucia!

12. inkpad

inkpad New Member

thems the facts, out of any orifice you like, I feel really humbled that the facts differ to your opinion

13. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Whatever, dear. Whatever.......

14. inkpad

inkpad New Member

Oh I do concede Mary.

Good point, well made, case closed.