internal wooden doors size

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by zider, Nov 28, 2009.

1. zider

zider New Member

i have a bungalow built 1981, my problem is all the internal doors are 28.5 inches wide,i wish to change the hardboard clad painted doors for part glazed solid wood doors, to give more light to the hall.but all i can find are 27 or 30 inch wide doors off the shelf, can i saw off a 3/4" strip down each edge of the 30 inch, so they look equal when hung, this will be a bit of a fuss but will this caause a problem to the integraty of the doors?. i do not want to have to have 5 doors made to measure, a bit too pricey.

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

I think you'll find that these are metric sized doors and they are 726mm wide. The height of the door will also be higher than imperial doors. You can buy/ order these from builders merchants.

3. zider

zider New Member

yes J J 762mm = 30inch,have tried jewsons etc localy but the 30inch (726mm) are all they have, i need 28.5 (725mm)
    unless i order a special at 3 or 4 times the price even if i order 5,

4. s.bury

s.bury Member

You risk weakening the door buy cutting through the mortice and tenon joints etc - and you'll hit a staple or two inside the door! I'd consider packing out the door frame with 3/4" timber - just use pine fascia board - ideal for this esp if painted afterwards.

I've used long lengths of hardwood flooring from British Hardwoods in Huddersfield if a real wood match for the doors is required.With matching oversized architraves a really nice job can be made of it.

Steven

5. ecm

ecm New Member

Jewson's suck big time. Never source anything from there unless you are absolutely forced to. A good timber merchant should be able to sort you out with something that will require minimal planning. I've not got time to search through for you but this is my supplier's ex-stock on-line list. Take a look.

6. parana

parana New Member

Zider read JJ's post again, 28.5" = 724mm, (726mm is a metric size) . to further confirm this measure the height, an imperial door is 1981mm high a metric door is 2040mm. what your probably looking for is a 726 x 2040 metric door.

P

7. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Cheers parana. Zider, any timber/ builders merchants should be able to source the metric doors that you need.
    as parana says the door height should be 2040mm.

8. zider

zider New Member

thanks for the helpful advice, will sort out a proper timber merchant to get the ones i want, cheers