internet cutting off

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by flyingscotsman, Nov 8, 2006.

1. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

can anyone tell me why my computer cuts off the internet sporadically,it is wired through a belkin router to upstairs which works fine,but i have to pull the power on the router, power back up and all is well for a short time,any clues.

2. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

Have you got all your phones going thru their own filters, including any alarm speech dialers/answer machine etc, I find thats the normal culprit on broadband.

3. flyingscotsman

My sons computer upstairs (fed from router) is o.k. all phones working,think it might be hardware problem.

4. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

swap the the ethernets in the router around to confirm its a hardware fault.

5. flyingscotsman

definately hardware.

6. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

are you on NTL? Cos if you are, that might be the problem.

7. RMH

RMH New Member

does it disconnect whilst you are surfing or when idle for a short time?

8. flyingscotsman

Whenever it feels like it, little rascal.

9. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

Try removing network card in hardware manager on pc, Restart your computer & it should reinstall using windows drivers. You can then try internet again.

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

To be honest I've spent a lot of time researching this problem, as I too suffered with this and still do, but not as much.

My first Modem/Router was a Linksys WAG54G which ran 2 x Hardwired PC's and 1 x Wireless Laptop.

This used to drop out sporadically and upon Linksys Tech Support they suggested a Firmware upgrade.

As it happened the Router was having non of it so it was replaced under it's 5 year warranty for the latest model which is a WAG354G unit.

This unit is far better and only drops out the second PC and the Laptop now and again but keeps the main/first PC online.

After a very enlightening conversation with the head IT guy at one of our clients offices I seem to have an answer!

It seems that all the 'cheap' router/modems, say up to £100 or so suffer from these problems due to varying combinations of conflicts and overheating problems, both internally and with the external powerpacks.

Apparently the only sure fire way to avoid sporadic drop outs is to purchase a decent commercial unit such as what you'd find in a small to medium business environment feeding a small Server.

These units cost upwards of £200!

So, as with most things in life you pays yer money and takes yer choice! ;)

11. PiD

PiD New Member

Check the routers log and see if it shows anything corresponding to the computer that is getting booted.

Try replacing the LAN cable.

Try upgrading the router firmware

Get a better router.

It is true that some of the cheaper routers have problems like these i.e D-Link(AVOID) but you really dont need to spend over £200.

I have 8 computers hooked up to my Netgear DG834PN, 2 straight to it, 5 through a 24 port hub and my laptop on wireless. 6 of these computers are on 24/7 and Ive never had any connection drops or router problems.

12. TicklyT

TicklyT New Member

Could it be something like the DHCP lease time expiring?

Or if your router has wireless capability, how secure is your network?

That could raise all sorts of issues, addressing clashes etc. etc.

At home I can see and access three or four different wireless LANS from my laptop, but only one of them is mine!

13. keymeister

keymeister New Member

My eldest son is a bit of a computer geek but when I had the same problem it turned out I was downloading a lot and some isp's interrupt your supply when this happens changed isp and no probs sincr