Invincible wallpaper paste!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by imcalledal, Aug 9, 2011.

1. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Have been trying to remove a paper boarder around a long hallway. Steamed off the front but got stuck on the glue front  have tried DIF and Solvite stuff but it's just not dissapearing. It's fairly flat now but don't want to paint over and it show up through the paint.   Any ideas?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have had this problem myself, problem is the glue is polyvinylacetate, I used nitromors to shift it, that's the good news. The bad news is it shows through the paint even after removing it, I lined the room with 1000 grade in the end that was the only way to hide it completely!!!!!!!!

3. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

ah boooger! The nitromors was okay with regards to vinly paint on wall? Or will it destroy everything?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, ruined the vinyl paint under, even though I filled with filler and sealed that with Bullseye it was still NBG, that's why I lined the walls. Like you I tried everything and ended up lining to make a decent job.

5. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Last time I did this, I used a thickish mix of Soda crystals going over it 2 or 3 times to soak and then using a sharp filling knife to remove.
    Some of my good friends on here will know that I always use Soda crystals for cleaning etc and haven't used sugar soap for donkeys. But I imagine that sugar soap will do the same.

It's also good for your smalls.

6. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Thanks all :)