Irish wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by doodles, Oct 30, 2003.

1. doodles

doodles New Member

Just thought i'd let you know I am a competent D.I.Y.er but I have just come across a problem that had not entered my head. I have just completely wired a house in Ireland only to be told by the local electricity board when they came to do the main meter connection that all Irish wiring has to be Blue Brown and earth and not Red Black and earth as in this country (these are eec regs and they appear to be right and us wrong)Seeing as i bought all my wire from Screwfix it proved very costly and a time waster I should have checked

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

its changing to the same over here next year

3. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

not til next year

5. harry

harry Member

typical.they go on and on about safety and then change the colours which will probably cause death to some poor sod who has used red/black and green all their life.bet they dont publish those figures.and what are the colours used in three phase wiring?

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

curently they are
    black Neutral
    red phase
    blue phase
    yellow phase

they will be
    black phase
    blue Neutral
    brown phase
    and it has been proposed that grey will also be used as a phase conductor

7. harry

harry Member

wow. there is going to be a shortage of gravediggers.

8. ^davey^

^davey^ New Member

I suppose if all cores were made the same colour then no assumptions could be made and a lot more checking would be done first?? Would that be safer? ;)

9. supersparky

supersparky New Member

well like dadysparky said in the last forum about this, people should be testing anyway, Especially electricians
    BR

10. Brumspark

Brumspark Member

This was the 'logic' that many commercial vehicle maufacturers (such as Leyland)used to apply - and it caused absolute havoc.

Brumspark (newbie)

PS - A NB with spellcheck now there's novel.

11. sparky (Original)

sparky (Original) New Member

it is due to change in april 2004 with a two year change over peroid

12. sparksrus

sparksrus New Member

What you have to take into account is that we already use brown (live) and blue (neutral) in flexible cables, the new changes are for fixed wiring and are a natural progression to european harmonization. Gray is indeed to be one of the phase colours along with brown and black (this was an almost unanimous decision and will mean that all countries will have to change the colour coding for 3 phase circuits)
    To any competent electrician the new changes should not present a problem.

13. Windey

Windey New Member

TO GET BACK TO IRISH WIRING IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT NORTHERN IRELAND THEY FOLLOW THE SAME RULES (IEE) AS ENGLAND. IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE SOUTH BEFORE THEY GIVE YOU A SUPPLY YOU WILL HAVE TO GIVE THEM A REGE. TEST CERT. FROM A REGESTERED CONTRACTOR. I DID A HOUSE OVER THERE LAST YEAR AND I USED RED BLACK SO UNLESS THEY'VE CHANGED THE RULES I WOULD DO SOME CHECKING

14. xipetotec

xipetotec New Member

I have a mate who is colour blind, so green to him is red or reddish or brown, to him <u>grass is red</u>, he asks me to check any wiring he does at home, so the new EEC regs regarding colour coding would suit colour blind sparkies and certainly DIYers

15. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Red-green colour blindness is the most common form, ironically, given that red used to be phase, and green earth. The switch to blue/brown/greenyellow was a good move, and I've never understood why fixed wiring didn't go the same way.

I can see how changing black from neutral to phase might be problematic, but we can console ourselves with the thought that there aren't many amateurs working on 3-phase systems, and professional electricians should be able to cope.

Re colour-blind electricians, it is unfortunate, but maybe in the same way that it is unfortunate that someone with vertigo can't become a steeplejack, perhaps people who are colour-blind shouldn't become electricians...

16. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

just cannot wait (not) to have a job with a mixture of the old and new cols and have stray neutral (blue is a phase col on the old wiring system,whereas blue is the neutral on the new)apart form that,I cannot see the col swap a prob.

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Don't worry - the circuit breaker will let you now if this happens...

18. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

A pox on Screwfix and their crappy forum application!

That should, of course, have been

Don't worry - the circuit breaker will let you know if this happens...

19. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

D'oh..... What was that about a bad workman.....?

20. super spark

super spark New Member

Not such a competent DIY ER any moor mate stick to nocking nails in and leave the skilled trades to the tradesmen