Is a Magnaclean as good as a

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Captain Chaos, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

Is a magnaclean, fitted to a black waterered open vent 2 storey building, as good a s powerflush ? In other words is is worth power flushing or would a Magnaclean (et al) do the same job, but take longer?

2. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Is a magnaclean, fitted to a black waterered open
    vent 2 storey building, as good a s powerflush ? In
    other words is is worth power flushing or would a
    Magnaclean (et al) do the same job, but take longer?

No;Yes;No IMHO

3. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

Errmm... Is that your final answer, in your jumble sorry humble opinion??

4. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

It is best to use the new Fernox filter. Available on Screwfix.

Using X-400 (better really use the Fernox version) and the new Fernox filter, emptying every day at first and then every week, it should grab the "loose" magentite in the system. When clean, flush and insert X-100. Check every few months to see if crud accumulated.

A powerflush would get rid of some of the crud stuck to surfaces. But not all.

The new Fernox filter also grabs non-magnetic solids in the system.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84311/Plumbing/Central-Heating-Treatment/Fernox-TF1-Total-Filter-22mm;jsessionid=T2YBMUHQ5Y25ICSTHZOSFEY

5. imran_

imran_ New Member

I see Walter's been reading the Fernox brochure today :)

They all do a similar thing - choose whichever colour suits the boiler ;). If your system is sludged and blocked then just adding a cleanser will do little - the circulator on the system doesn't have the flow rate to agitate and move the carp. A powerflush does. (Note: don't be oversold a powerflush if one isn't needed - black water in a system is fine).

I'd avoid just putting chemicals in - it can loosen sludge and debris that can then travel somewhere downstream to cause a blockage. Don't fix it if it isn't broken!!

6. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

in my opinion all these products are peckam spring water
    BUT, these filters promice to collect and clean ALL the crud, so by fitting one , no longer can the boiler service engineer invalidate the warrantee because of a dirty system, so in that way its worth fitting on a new boiler,

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

"Peckham Spring Water!"

Classic!

8. redwill

redwill New Member

Fernox F1 is the best on the market, it has an intergrated moulded cyclonic filter in the body,combined with the magnet, measured in GAUSS. The Cyclonic filter reduces the particle velocity when suspended in the water and allows the debry to drop out of suspension , and collect at the bottom of the filter. This is in addition to the magnet to pick up iron oxide, which is a continious process when H2o is mixed with carbon steel (rust), even with inhibitor has been fitted.
    They will clean the system up and you will be horrified how much ?hit they take out.

9. imran_

imran_ New Member

Magnaclean also have a solids filter to capture non-ferrous material.

In actual fact, your system will NOT rust without inhibitor, because it is not water that causes rust; it is oxygen. In a heating system the basic chemical reaction is 3 Fe + 4 H20 = Fe3O4 + 4 H2. i.e. produces magnetite and hydrogen (which is why constant bleeding in a sealed system points to corrosion).

I don't actually know what goes into Peckham Spring water, but the rules are we add it so we do ;). First thing your boiler mfr is going to test when he comes out and suspects a scaled up HEX anyway.

A always dose with inhibitor and always specify a filter (up to customer whether they want it done). Ultimately a filter is prevention, not cure.

10. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

I opened the air bleed nipple cos the rad was not heating up. Its a rad which is in the middle, roughly, of the system and the water coming out was very black. The rad was also taking ages to heat up.
    As you have said a magnaclean is not a cure, what other methods could be a cure. I don't really want to powerflush the system.

11. imran_

imran_ New Member

Black water is OK (IMHO). Sludge / magnetite build-up in rads is usually obvious as a cold spot is present that is centered at bottom-middle of rad and expands out like a circle. To bring rads back to new you need a combo of Powerflush AND Radhammer (or similar). Don't just bang the rads to loosen the sludge as it will travel further down and might block something.

Taking ages to heat up could just be general sludge (hot flush might do) or re-balancing needed. If the tell-tale cold spots aren't there chances are a powerflush might not help (could be air partial blockage, etc, etc). I'd advise against just putting a cleanser in as it can do more harm than good.

12. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

I see Walter's been reading the Fernox brochure today
    :)

They all do a similar thing

Another bathroom changer!! The Magnaclean does not collect non-magnetic solids.

13. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

in my opinion all these products are peckam spring
    water
    BUT, these filters promice to collect and clean ALL
    the crud, so by fitting one , no longer can the
    boiler service engineer invalidate the warrantee
    because of a dirty system, so in that way its worth
    fitting on a new boiler,

You need to find out what they do.

14. The Falcon

The Falcon New Member

Re: Is a Magnaclean as good as a
    Posted: Oct 7, 2010 7:49 PM Reply

I see Walter's been reading the Fernox brochure today

They all do a similar thing

Another bathroom changer!! The Magnaclean does not collect non-magnetic solids.

Oi * check out the Magnaclean Twintech,have good read you thick *,all the information is available on Adeys website before you spout faeces

[Edited by: admin]

15. imran_

imran_ New Member

Another bathroom changer!! The Magnaclean does not
    collect non-magnetic solids.

It's called the Magnaclean Twintech and has been out for about 2 years. Do you want me to send you a brochure??

16. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

I always though black water was oxidised water and therefor a sludged system, wellthats what I have been told. iwould chemical dousing such as fernox f3 and a fernox tf1 filter??

17. imran_

imran_ New Member

Black water..... Wear your pants for a week - wedgie or no wedgie there'll be a skid mark on it

18. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

lol thats an interesting anology.

19. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

It's called the Magnaclean Twintech

Which is expensive and poorly made and designed. The best is the Magnaboost, made of brass, next is the Sentinel, then the cheaper Fernox.

You should read the brochures.