Is business slow for you too?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hamilton, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Ratemytrade - I've just visited your site and would like to say you need to check your spelling & grammar. For example, I've just had an auto-generated e-mail from you entitled 'Welocme'. Also, trolley (as in shopping trolley) is spelt like that, not 'trolly'.

There are others too, but they were the 2 that I spotted straight away. I know some people are pedantic about spelling on this forum, but on your website I feel it's very unprofessional.

Not having a go BTW, just trying to help you out ;)

2. loneworker

loneworker New Member

Thought it was just me, like Chekhov I'm in the North East. First three months very quiet, then busy in April/May but the work has slowed again. Definitely quieter than last year.

3. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

BTW I posted earlier on this year about advertising in the Yellow Pages. I originally signed up for both the Yellow Pages and the internet equivalent: Yell.Com. However after the feed back I got from this forum I decided to stick with just Yell.Com and see what happened.It's been running for about 3 months and the results are less than impressive. So far two calls and both from people wanting to sell me stuff rather than wanting work done. One of them was from a rep for "Silverline". I thought I'd give him a chance since he seemed a nice enough bloke so I bought some jigsaw blades and a set of countersink drill bits. I should have known better. When I was looking through the catalogue I thought the power tools looked like children's toys. Anyone know any different?

4. dunc

dunc New Member

There is less confidence in the home owner sector. The rates etc have gone up.

But this has brought out the more canny home owner who has saved for the rainy day and are now sniffing around looking for desperate builders.

Whilst they may be turning down the higher bids they are accepting much lower bids from decent builders and chippies.

Or if your bids are getting near to the more established builders then the customer simply reverts back to the established builders, figuring they may as well pay out for the deveil they know etc.

5. !!

!! Active Member

Business is good it's just smaller work which is annoying, got 3 different houses to visit tommorrow, for £160

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

7. IOC Chippy

IOC Chippy New Member

I have got about 3 weeks work for definate and another 3 weeks in the pipeline but over the years things have definately gone downhill and will likely continue.
    Not too many years ago the government imported labour from India to carry out the demolition of the Wembly stadium claiming as many did that there was a skills shortage
    Today we have a massive influx of europeans and also the government pay school leavers £30 a week to attend college to learn a trade. So if its not europeans working for minimum wages then its 18 year olds having done the basic FCA and ICA courses who will also work for peanuts.
    However, neither really have the required skills for certain jobs so I think there will always be a demand for discerning skilled craftsmen.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was getting a bit quiet so I spent 1/2 a day putting out flyers and now I'm booked out into Sept and more is coming in every day. I'm not going to get a summer holiday now. :(

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But :) aswell.

10. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Nice one 244....!

It's funny when you get calls 12-18 mths later from people that you flyered wanting work....and you don't even remember flyering that particular road. I find each new job goes on to provide two more new customers generally. You can't beat word of mouth, and I find no need to advertise well anywhere really.......I'm sure it'll be different come the winter months when occasionally I've had to paint & decorate to cover the leaner months....

IOC Chippy.....have you found any benefit from being a member ? I assume it is the 'Institute of Carpenter's' your namesake refers to ?

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I got a call today from some one who said they had got my name from an old client and asked if I could do some work for them next week, I said I could do the work but not till Sept. When I got home I checked out who had recommended me and it was someone who, when I was new in the area, was very keen for me to do a job until I said I was available straight away and then never called back. There's some funny buggers out there.

12. > I said I was available straight away

..that's cos you've got no work in your real job, as a *

[Edited by: admin5]

13. powerdevil

powerdevil New Member

Maybe you should have indicated what area you're in - we need some work doing in Bracknell, preferably by a competent guy whose not got too much in the pipeline!

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I said I was available straight away[/i]

..that's cos you've got no work in your real
    job, as a *****

Look, I used to work as a crack ***** but too many Polish kitchen fitters got into the game and undercut me. ;)

15. panlidsid

panlidsid New Member

normally this time of year i have to turn my phone off in the day just to get some work done. not this year.
    normally get about 10 calls a day. at the moment i am lucky if i get 2.
    im still busy but i have noticed the phone has been slow this year.