Is everything out of stock or just everything I am looking for?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by slf-uk, Mar 20, 2021.

1. slf-uk

slf-uk New Member

I am trying to put together a large order for a project and over 50% of the items are out of stock. When some items come back into stock others become unavailable. This has been ongoing for weeks now and is very frustrating.

Am I just unlucky, are Screwfix having issues with stock at the moment or should I just use a different supplier?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It’s very much the case at mo, so get items when you can. Everyone is building and doing their houses up and that coupled with supply chain problems is causing this issue.

Kingscurate and Tilt like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Two reasons....Covid 19 and Brexit. :(

Kingscurate likes this.
  4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Brexit is an "excuse" - I heard it used on some products sourced from Iceland and delivered direct to the UK. Given so much comes from the far East in containers and likely shipped direct into Felixstowe, Hull, Southampton &c then no Brext effect. And containers routed through Rotterdam would not be effected either as they transit fully sealed through their and never be "landed" in Europe.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  5. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

It is a thing and I believe far more likely to be down to COVID than Brexit. Almost all businesses are struggling with staff shortages and inefficiencies due to restrictions on how they can operate.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  6. slf-uk

slf-uk New Member

Thanks for the replies, it seems that I am not alone with what I am seeing. It am still surprised by just how many companies are waiting for life to get back to normal rather than adapting to the current and emerging challanges. We know how that worked when the Britsh car and motorcycle companys did not adapt, in this case the challanges are more obvious.

It is time for me to explore other suppliers to see if they have adapted or have the same issues, very sad.

7. Rick1632

Rick1632 Active Member

There's more than 2 reasons at the moment lol.

Covid - various issues in the supply chain with social distancing measures making it slower to process stuff
    Brexit - as well as difficulties with stuff coming from the EU, businesses have shifted supplies to come via container ports increasing the burden there, as well as the increased admin required on EU imports there.
    PPE - the government ordered decades worth of it back in May and a lot of it is still clogging up container ports because they've nowhere to put it.

https://www.seatrade-maritime.com/containers/brexit-and-covid-bring-critical-uk-container-logjam

Some container vessels have been unloading UK-directed containers in Antwerp instead of the UK because they don't want to hang around.

In short, it's a perfect storm.